HELP!!!! I think Spice is in labor!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
parjackson said:
My gut told me something wasn't right, but my brain said, "Give her time" because she wasn't showing any signs of stress. She was nibbling at her hay, wandering around, being friendly. I asked the doctor if it would have had a different outcome if I had called sooner, and he said, "Most likely not."
First of all, let me just say that I'm really, really sorry to hear this.. We've only had one close call with a birth, and it's really difficult to know when to make that phone call..

For what it's worth, I think I agree with your vet.. If she were to have been dropping and rising and straining and head-pressing and crying out for all that time, it would be different...but if she was up, nibbling at hay, walking around, being friendly...I probably wouldn't have called the vet either.

Again...I'm just really, really sorry she was lost. Don't beat yourself up. :hugs

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:( I'm so sorry for you loss. It's natures cruel way of reminding us how much we love and adore our animals :hugs

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:hugs

Sorry for your loss too. Well if it makes you feel any bit better, I learned something from your loss...and probably others have too.

Again, sorry. :hugs

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh, I am SO sorry. She lived a good life and was loved and will be missed. If those things can be said of us when we pass, then we have lived well.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very sorry you lost her...animals take up a big space in our hearts so I know how you feel and it is never easy. God Bless !!

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
parjackson said:
username taken said:
I'm sorry :(

For future reference, a doe should not go more than 2 - 4 hrs of squatting and gooping without making some sort of progress. If no progress has been made by this time, ie. she hasnt moved to heavy pushing, assistance is needed.

Once the doe starts pushing, progress should be made every half hour - ie. something new should happen every half hour, a bag appear, a foot appear, a nose appear, a baby born, another baby born, a placenta born etc. If the progress stops, assistance is needed.
I only waited to call because one of the goat books written by a well-known"expert" said that it can take first timers 12 hours in the first stage of labor. Other places say 2 hours. AWhat is a new goat person supposed to do? What advice do you listen to?
The 2 hrs is a much better rule to follow than 12 hrs. I've never had a maiden go for 12 hrs.

I know it can be difficult and confusing to start with; hang in there.

To be honest you have just experienced something that a lot of big goat farms dont experience for year and years; it is not a very common occurrance. Most does who need assistance are at the yelling and pushing and screaming stage with nothing happening. Now its very rare but it does happen, that one gets to the very early stage like you described, and has trouble. But because they are not showing signs of distress, people dont assist until it is too late.

Trust me - you are not the only person who has had this happen. Almost every large breeder I know has lost a doe this way, so please dont beat yourself up about it.

I had this same thing happen last year to my girl - never progressed from early labour to the pushing stage. Well, the only reason I interfered was because I had to get to a show and I was already 3 hrs late - so I did an internal intending to hurry things up and pull the kids out so I knew everything was okay and I could leave. Well the kids were a tangled mess and she ended up needing a caesar. But the thing was, if I hadnt been going to a show that day, I wouldnt have interfered, I would have left her for longer and no doubt I would have lost the kids and possibly the doe.