help- ideas- black tarry stool, whole herd!

Wensbrit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We did fecals about two weeks ago, coccidia and strongyles showed. Treated with Albon and ivermectin. Repeat is completely negative. Never stopped eating and always acted normal. Never a fever. All still have black tarry stool. Two are anemic. We have ( hopefully...or not) 4 pregnant does and two 8 month old babies. ALL have same symptoms. Vet is even perplexed. Started b complex injections on the two anemic ones ( who should be pregnant) ...what else can I do?!?! I am worried sick. They all receive mineral, have received a few doses of probiotic over the last two weeks. Good quality hay, dry clean stalls. Ugh. I'm at a loss. Ideas welcome please.

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So by black and tarry do you mean that it isn't solid at all?
If they have diarrhea my first concern would be to stop that and prevent dehydration with ~50 cc kaopectate every 4 hours.
I will also say that in my experience there are very few completely clear fecals. If you do them yourself, I would redo it to ensure that it developed correctly. If you are going through a vet, I hope they figure it out soon! :\

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna make a guess here.... and my guess is that after being wormed there was a large die off of the parasites. When that happens they (the parasites) let go of their hold on the intestinal lining and that leaves a 'hole' that can still seep blood. Blood in the intestinal tract = black tarry stool.

I would give the anemic ones some Red Cell and/or iron injections. Getting a goat back from anemia can be a long process - good luck!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna make a guess here.... and my guess is that after being wormed there was a large die off of the parasites. When that happens they (the parasites) let go of their hold on the intestinal lining and that leaves a 'hole' that can still seep blood. Blood in the intestinal tract = black tarry stool.

I would give the anemic ones some Red Cell and/or iron injections. Getting a goat back from anemia can be a long process - good luck!
Z2
I was kind of thinking the same thing

Wensbrit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes the vet has been doing the fecals. Technically they found one strongyles on the whole slide. Way better than before and no coccidia, in fact the original results were " not that bad" according to the vet but I saw bloody poop so I pushed to treat. Since then it is pasty or berry poops but definitely black and bloody. No diarrhea thank God but the bleeding freaks me out as it is not stopping. Red cell is given how? Should I give it to everyone?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry you are going through such an ordeal.

This list is an excellent resource.
Possibly Salmonellosis... but there is a detailed description of kinds of poop, color, smell and causes as well as association with other diseases...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/50/92/#.VrlFGlgrK1s

I do not believe Giardia is mentioned but it is also possible.

Please keep us posted. Welcome to BYH! :frow

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I personally would retreat for parasites with the same medication. Do the red cell. I am doing a quick look for a post---brb.