HELP I'm wanting to know if my goat is pregnant. She has milk and has been having lots of discharge. Can anyone tell when she might be due?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keep watching that udder. It doesn't look quite ready yet - but udders can change quickly - or not at all before kidding, lol. But when it gets really tight and shiny you can expect kids fairly soon. Ligaments are still the best way I can tell.

fisher010085

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Keep watching that udder. It doesn't look quite ready yet - but udders can change quickly - or not at all before kidding, lol. But when it gets really tight and shiny you can expect kids fairly soon. Ligaments are still the best way I can tell.
Thank you! I just can't feel the ligaments. I've tried for several days. I've seen pictures of where they are but I have not been able to feel them. Any guess as to how much longer?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Figure the day you got her back... then 5 months from then is the LAST DATE she could have them. Anything else is a crap shoot. Don't stress over it, It won't make it happen any faster and you will just get her all nervous if you are all nervous. The "goat people" have pretty much told you what they can... pictures are just not reliable... but there is more udder than the first picture so she is getting there... If she were a cow I would say in a couple of weeks...
You will be fine... make sure she is getting adequate nutrition and access to salt/mineral... and say a prayer she is back. The best case scenario is you come out one morning and there is a little baby all wagging it's tail... or 2 little babies and she is talking to them and all happy and proud of herself...

fisher010085

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Figure the day you got her back... then 5 months from then is the LAST DATE she could have them. Anything else is a crap shoot. Don't stress over it, It won't make it happen any faster and you will just get her all nervous if you are all nervous. The "goat people" have pretty much told you what they can... pictures are just not reliable... but there is more udder than the first picture so she is getting there... If she were a cow I would say in a couple of weeks...
You will be fine... make sure she is getting adequate nutrition and access to salt/mineral... and say a prayer she is back. The best case scenario is you come out one morning and there is a little baby all wagging it's tail... or 2 little babies and she is talking to them and all happy and proud of herself...
Thank you. I've thanked God every day since I got her back. I guess I won't worry unless I'm sure something's wrong. Thank you very much

proudpiggyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you put your thumb and finger at the base of her tail where her spine ends/tail starts. If you can wrap your fingers around it and almost touch your fingers she will have the babies in the next 24 hours.

Latest posts