Help! Injured Dewclaw on my Nursing Doe!

GhoulishGoat

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I trimmed my mother's fainting goat's hooves today. Normally I'm quite good at it, but today as I was trimming the dewclaw she kicked and I took off a huge chunk of the dew claw off, hitting the quick. I feel terrible to the point of feeling sick to my stomach.

It didn't bleed much--the dewclaws were so overgrown I suspect the quick of them had lengthened--but I uncovered a pink, fatty tissue. I immediately treated it with iodine, patted it dry, and applied a few layers of allushield. It is covered up and hasn't reopened. She isn't favoring it and took the rest of the trimming like a champ. She's inside the barn in her clean pen with her kid and sister. Is there anything else I should do for her? My vet is out of town and I feel so so bad.

Again, my mom let the hooves become pretty overgrown. On the hooves I had to be so careful because they were a bit full of rot and the quick had lengthened there as well. I barely got them level before pink started showing.

this same doe is also running pretty dry. We've been bottle feeding her kid and I worry any stress or extra injury will cause her to dry up what little milk she has. I worry a lot. I love her and she's had a hard month and a hard hard birth (first baby was over large and breached, didn't make it. second got bit by a spider the night she was born then developed pneumonia. Then mom went dry because baby could barely nurse. She's our first baby to ever have any sort of health issues and we've birthed almost a dozen kids.) This doe is such a good mom and I just feel so so bad.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with that. She'll be fine, just check the foot for a few days.

In the future, should you have issues with a nursing kid, MILK the doe! This will keep production up. Right now, is she getting grain? That will help keep the production going better for a while. Plus, with only one kid, she won't need to produce as much. As you probably know, it's a lot of supply & demand.

There's a reason people bottle the kids -- production by milking.