Help! Is she pregnant or in heat?

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
doatty said:
Her udder is growing but not a lot. Haven't seen anymore discharge. She did head button me on my arm when I was feeling her udder today though. Is this normal? What about getting defensive after she kids?

Is she close to kidding when the udder is really big?
Udders grow at various speeds. One of my does had a full udder a month ahead of time; her sister didn't have a full udder until the day she delivered. Some does don't have huge udders until after they kid. :idunno A better check for kidding is if the ligaments from the tail head to the tip have gotten completely mush. And I mean COMPLETELY.

That might be her plug being dripped in the first picture--in which case, you might have as long as a month. Or you might not. Since she hasn't kidded, I'm thinking that might be her plug. Only way to be sure is to have a vet check her out. :idunno

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Her first discharge was her plug. That can be 6 weeks to a month out. Or it can be 3-4 days. Clearly with her it's not 3-4 days. If she kids and doesn't have any milk yet or still has a small udder, the vet can give her a shot of Oxytocin to help bring on her milk. You may end up supplementing the baby for a day or two but keep it on mom because that sucking stimulation will also help the milk come in.

doatty

Just born
Reaction score
When she is close to kidding will her belly be hard and tight? Her belly still seems soft

doatty

Just born
Reaction score
Also she seems to be getting hungrier. I feed her three cups of oats and 1 cup of dairy parlor noble goat in the morning and in the evening. Shes got plenty of grass hay and a mineral block too. Shell finish the grain then wants more right away. Shes not eating much of the hay too. About twice a week I give her half alfalfa and half hay. I don't want to over feed her.
Recommendations?

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
8 cups of grain per day, total??

Goats always want more grain, but I think she may be getting to much. Not sure... you should look that up.

Free choice hay you can't go wrong on really. If it's good quality...

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Goats will overeat, so I would be careful with the grain. Mine act like they're always starving :rolleyes:

Yeah, their stomachs should be like they're going to burst. All three of mine were enormous.

doatty

Just born
Reaction score
So its been over 3 weeks since the stringgy discharge and still no kid. Her udder is bigger than it used to be though. Can nonpregnant does get an udder if I'm not milking?

Can she lose her plug really early in the pregnancy?

doatty

Just born
Reaction score
Still no babies. She had some more white discharge a few days ago but not as much as before. I put her back in the bigger pen with two does and 2 chickens. Can baby goats be pecked at by chickens? Just heard of a friend who's kid got half eaten but some ducks. Will the doe not protect the kid?