HELP! Kit stuck inside birth canal

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
My vet, before we moved, once told me how much penicillin to use on a rabbit based on weight and what she would use on a cat. That was helpful. I already had the refrigerated bottle from one of the ag/outdoor stores. It did the trick back then for a doe with mastitis. I also had help from a friend that was a rabbit show judge and during the day was a vet tech. That helped a lot too. :)
That is helpful!
Do you happen to remember the penicillin dose?
I'm a vet tech but my clinic only sees cats and dogs :idunno

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was just telling my DD that at nearly 58, I'm considering going back to school to become a vet for the simple reason that there are never any vets around here (crazy, since we're such a big Ag state) who do goats, or most other "farm animals". The few that are around (an hour or so away, mind you) charge an arm and a leg (plus your firstborn, a kidney, and dibs on one or both lungs).

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was just telling my DD that at nearly 58, I'm considering going back to school to become a vet for the simple reason that there are never any vets around here (crazy, since we're such a big Ag state) who do goats, or most other "farm animals". The few that are around (an hour or so away, mind you) charge an arm and a leg (plus your firstborn, a kidney, and dibs on one or both lungs).
We could definitely use more exotic and livestock vets!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is helpful!
Do you happen to remember the penicillin dose?
I'm a vet tech but my clinic only sees cats and dogs :idunno

I want to say 1cc/10lbs. It's been a while now, and I forget. I had picked up the syringes and the Vet said to go subcutaneous at scruff of neck. The litter the doe currently had were fostered out. I think I treated for a week, and then had to wait a month for the penicillin to get out of her system before her milk was safe again. So I waited the month to breed, and she didn't have problems again, and was able to nurse too. It was only on one side if I remember.

Latest posts