Help - Llama just had a baby last, it's in the 50's here in FL,

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I will try that. I have been having a hard time to get her to suck the bottle. She will at first then just sit their and let it dribble out. I tried to tube her but she acts like she is going to regurgitate when I do, and some comes up the tube before I even get a chance to attach any to the tube. I took her outside and she stood with a little help for longer than she has yet....... I sure wish she'd take the bottle more...

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She pooped , she pooped............... that worked like a charm! It looked like lots of soft wet rabbit pellets.......... perhaps she will eat better now that she can poo.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Question for ya.

When you were a child, did you ever imagine that you would ever be so very excited about poop as an adult? Or that you would be squirting dishsoap up a LLamas butt?

lol, isnt life pleasantly surprising at times?

Oh the joy in a pooping baby! Good job with the wee one!

:thumbsup

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No, LOL, but then i got horses, goats, mini cattle and chickens...ugh, the chickens and other birds, and they have turned this wimpy needle fearing girl into a regular doctor Doolittle. My baby alpaca got attacked by something the first night we moved here, took the skin about the size of a dinner plate right off his side with none left to close back, he had various puncture wounds all over..... my friend said she would have put him down.... some meds from the vet , and I have now nursed him for a month and he is doing very well, running about, healing up good. Animals are always causing some trouble around here.....

She sat up longer than she ever as so far, I think she is feeling better or is really POed I stuck that up her butt...... LOL She sucked a little longer on the bottle.

Great, hubby just called - someone rear ended him and the car won't start.... UGH, will it ever end..... :/

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the car accident. Hopefully it isn't bad.

Are you keeping the cria propped up in a "'sitting" position during the day and as best as possible at night? She can have her head down in front of her. Upright in the kush or sitting position is best for them. Their rumen doesn't work right when they are actually laying down on their side. Alpacas/llamas usually don't even sleep actually laying down. They just lay their heads down with neck extended on the ground to sleep.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
He's stiff but ok, the car we shall see what the damages are, hope not much as he loves that car. :(

Peaches (my nephews named her) is doing better since I got home. She is trying to sit up on her front legs more, with a little help she stood for a few seconds. She is also flipping about try to stand. I switched her to a puppy bottle, she didn't seem to like the size of the red nipple, I guess since she is smaller than normal, she took a whole 1 oz in one sitting which is wonderful for her. :D

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Do you have access to a vet who will give you Rx drugs? If you do, I would probably put this cria on Excede. It is dosed at 1cc per 40 lbs. It is a 4 day antibiotic. I would give her at least 3 shots so she gets a full course of it. The other thing that probably wouldn't hurt to do is a shot of Banamine at 1cc per 100 lbs (I use 1cc syringes when dosing small amounts). If there is any inflammation, that will help.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is that a people RX or a animal RX ? I will ask my vet if that is available. He is very good about writing RX for me since he knows I have a zoo out here..... He is limited on his llama & Alpaca knowledge but helps any way he can. I do have liquid Baytril on hand........ and predisone pills. I have some Banimine for the horses somewhere.... would that just be for pain relief?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The Excede and Banamine are Vet Rx. Banamine would be for pain or inflammation. If anything in the lungs are inflamed, then it would help. Excede is a broad spectrum antibiotic that works well for crias.