Help making drag-board for climbing goat

Ctittle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey all, can anyone give me a little quick help?
I have twin Pygmy wether goats that have started climbing the fences. (A previous buck taught them naughty tricks! :somad) They’re large for Pygmies - they are both significantly larger than both of their parents - and are about 4 inches taller than my Nigerian Dwarf bucks. The bucks and a smaller wether don’t even try the fences. They’re happy in their large pasture and with their available climbing spots. These twins, however, seem to have a thing for the brambles on the other side of the fence, which is the neighbor’s property (of course). The neighbor is very understanding and not at all upset, but literally 5 minutes after wrestling the last one into the pasture,
they were back over.
I’ve blocked the section of fence that they seem to be aiming for (a gap in the brambles), but that’s not going to deter them from climbing another section if they choose to.
My goat mentor suggested a ‘drag board’. I get that it’s a section of board attached to their collar, but how big? How long should the chain be? Is it something they’ll have to wear forever?
I’d hate to get rid of these boys - they were my first goats! They’re such great brush hogs and keep the fence line cleared amazingly well. However, if they persist in escaping, I don’t want to jeopardize them or a passing motorist (they’re not super far from the road).
Thanks everyone!

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
There will be someone along shortly who can actually help you with great advice that they've gained from years of goat experience...
But I'm going to share a funny(ish) story :D =D
Several years ago a friend loaded me some goats to clear out a small wooded area. They did a WONDERFUL job but then they branched out and decided to manicure my flower beds, blooming shrubs, hedges and anything else that looked like it should've had a "NO GOATS ALLOWED" sign on it. I tried ALL sorts of things - admittedly, I had ZERO practical experience keeping goats & was unprepared for how clever and creative they were.
Finally I decided to put them in the pasture in the hopes that they would clear the blackberry brambles off of the fence line. I collared them, attached each one to one of those 20' vinyl covered dog tie-outs, then attached THAT to a tire that was on a rim with several cinderblocks stacked on top. I carried all of this to the far side of the pasture and set it up just a couple of feet from the fence line. MY 'clever' idea was that they had proven all summer that they would happily cross any fence set in front of them, so they SHOULD happily spend the day clearing up to 10' or so on the far side of the fence.
I came home to exhausted goats sleeping in my driveway, still attached to their HEAVY drags, which they had pulled all the way back across the pasture (leaving little 'goat ruts' in the ground), under the fence, across the yard and BACK into the yard that they had been ravaging in spite of my best efforts... AND having not nibbled a thing on the pasture fence line
:gig:lol::gig:lol::gig:lol:
little Buggers!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they go over and hang themselves...then what? Put hot wire at top of fence, would be my suggestion. Of course, the last one I did that for learned to unplug the darned box o_O thought it was another who had accidently walked into the cord. It was all on the outside of his pen. Then I saw him do it. :th

They are very smart and have excellent memories. Once they have a route, they repeat. In fact, I don't look for the escape -- I go to where they should be, rattle the feed bucket and watch them come back in. Then go fix it. Saves a lot of time.

Goats are good climbers. If they are doing that, it will continue, just other spots. 😵‍💫. If it's a hole, you can fix that.

Latest posts