Help me find the LGD breed/mix for me!

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I officially need a livestock guardian. I have no idea what breed is best suited for my needs or if I need a mix of a few! Here’s what I’m looking for;

I need a dog to guard my poultry. The cows are fine, no issues there. It’s these dang birds.

I need a dog to keep my young, fit collie company. Our older collie is just not wanting to play anymore. She’s going to break his hip lol.

I need a dog I can keep outside 24/7. I don’t have the space for an Anatolian in my house.

My kids are going to be here in a few short months and I need a breed good with kiddos.

We live in Iowa. I need a winter hardy breed too.

I can manage a long coat but sometimes even the collie coats are too much for me. I need a grooming table, I digress.

I need a female I think. I heard they are more caring and less likely to run away on me lol.

I found an Anatolian x GP but something about the pairing of those breeds just doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t know why.

But mostly again, this is for my birds. Also I need tips on how to keep an outside dog, I don’t have barn space for one but I can maybe make some room in the garage for her.
Help? Thoughts?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I started with Great Pyrenees. First I got a female, Paris. Then I got a male, Trip. Both were/are escape artists. Both loved children and babies. Both would fight to the death to protect children. Paris went from free chicken killer to chicken guardian. Trip ate my ducks, and later, Guineas. He’s fine with chickens. Go figure.

Their long hair matted and required cutting Matt’s out, brushing and time on grooming.

I have 2 Anatolians. They are better at staying with the sheep. They are ok with chickens. I like their coats much better, less upkeep. They are not friendly with strangers, the GP’s are, once introduced.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I hear good things about maremma sheepdogs. What are they good for?

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I hear good things about maremma sheepdogs. What are they good for?
Maremma are popular here in Florida. Their coat is not as long or thick. They are similar to Anatolians in temperament. Not friendly to strangers at all and great guardians. Even to chickens. And we have a coyote problem.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Maremma are popular here in Florida. Their coat is not as long or thick. They are similar to Anatolians in temperament. Not friendly to strangers at all and great guardians. Even to chickens. And we have a coyote problem.
Ahh ok. Not the best for harsh weather.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do maremma have double coats? Just not as long? That may be ok with cold weather, I've read they do well in cold as very thick coat. Plus a box can be added for a dog bed area. They are reported good with children of the family....strangers not real welcome. So....be aware, kids or adults.

Last edited:

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I
Do maremma have double coats? Just not as long? That may be ok with cold weather, I've read they do well in cold as very thick coat. Plus a box can be added for a dog bed area. They are reported good with children of the family....strangers not real welcome. So....be aware, kids or adults.
I have two friends that have Maremmas with their herd. The dog love their family. Very devoted to both the herd and them.

They do have a thick undercoat which actually protects them from our heat as well as your child weather. It's just not as long.

They stay with their goats and sheep. The have a great underground den that they built themselves. They even birth their puppies out there. Parents teach them how to behave and guard the herd right from the start.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They even birth their puppies out there. Parents teach them how to behave and guard the herd right from the start.
That's another thing. I want a responsibly bred LGD, with health test and parent conformation titles to match. But I also want a puppy that had early neurological stimulation that was raised around birds. It's going to be hard to find a good breeder and not just another BYB. :(

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's another thing. I want a responsibly bred LGD, with health test and parent conformation titles to match. But I also want a puppy that had early neurological stimulation that was raised around birds. It's going to be hard to find a good breeder and not just another BYB. :(
I agree, it's hard to find a responsible breeder. One of my friends did get a puppy from health tested parents and field raised. Great dog.

I'm not sure about conformation titles. It would be hard to show a herd dog that is working. I would think it would be anxious to get back to guarding the herd. But I do not show Maremmas so I don't know the breed to well. 😊

Latest posts