Help me find the LGD breed/mix for me!

Cotton*wood

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I haven't read all the rest of the responses, but when we bought our farm two years ago, an Anatolian-Pyrenees came with the farm, and I have to say he's been a wonderful dog. He stays out 100% of the time (even when it got down to -16F last February), and has prevented a number of attacks on the chickens and ducks. In fact, he prefers to hang around with the birds. He is also really wonderful with children (he was raised with small kids). I'd love to have another one just like him. Our only problem with him is that we can't keep him in with the sheep, as he tries to escape their paddocks.

But yes, he did go on regular walk-abouts. Putting up our perimeter fence keeps him in, and he keeps everything else out.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hear good things about maremma sheepdogs. What are they good for?
Guarding things! Small Great Pyrenees in look, and less likely to roam. Bark at night threats just the same (which is why I can't have one).

Ahh ok. Not the best for harsh weather.
Maremmas are GREAT in harsh cold weather. Florida would be uncomfortable for them.

Check out Gold Shaw Farm on Youtube. He raises ducks, geese and chickens (just got some Highland cattle) in Vermont. His 2 Y/O Maremma (Toby) came from a breeder in Maine.Toby has never been in the house, his job is to protect the livestock 24x7. He's getting a female from a breeder in California soon. And yes, training is absolutely necessary which takes time. Toby has never hurt any of the birds but was raised in a run with access around the birds' area initially.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Bruce thanks! I don’t know if (or probably when) another dog will be in our future but I will check that man out!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
All the traditional LGD breeds do well in harsh weather. They have been bred for years to live outside in almost all kinds of climates. They usually have a thick undercoat in the winter, while the outer coat repels water and mud. The thick undercoat also insulates them in hot areas. Humid areas are harder on them though.

Latest posts