Help me identify my rabbits?

bmarie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
These are my newest rabbits and they're roughly 4 months old - the girl I got them from gave me a list of like 5 possible breeds so I really have no clue what they are. Here are some photos - if you have any idea or a best guess I would really appreciate your help. It doesn't matter to me as I love them either way but it would be nice to know so I can match one or two with a buck of similar size/breed etc. Thanks a ton!

Attachments

• IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    626.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1549.JPG
    IMG_1549.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 224

bmarie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just looked back and she said Lionhead/Rex/Californian and something else. My buck is a Mini Lop - do you think it would be alright to breed him to them?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
X2 mixed is a good a good guess.
There's no health issues I would expect but I would make sure I have set plan for the offspring. Not many buyers for a mix, unless pets or meat... maybe.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just looked back and she said Lionhead/Rex/Californian and something else. My buck is a Mini Lop - do you think it would be alright to breed him to them?

To me, they look like "all of the above, and maybe then some." If your ambition is to create more "Heinz 57" mixes, sure; you can breed them to your buck. But you won't get Lionheads, or Rexes, or Lops. What you'll have is medium-sized mixed breeds with what I call "Weeble ears;" ears that wobble but don't stay down. My only question would be, why would you want to do this? If you want to raise meat rabbits, well, yeah, you can eat any rabbit (I once knew a guy who ate his Netherland Dwarf culls), though a purebred meat breed or a cross between meat breeds would be more efficient when it comes to what you get to eat compared to what they eat. If you are looking to produce pets, are you sure there's a market for that where you live? Around here, you might be able to give them away, but that would be about it.:idunno

bmarie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Unfortunately, people around here always buy bunches of rabbits for the meat grinder - and I'm not too sure they really care what breed they are as most say rabbit meat is rabbit meat. I would hope they'd go to "pet" homes but I can't decide what the next owners do with them. It's not a set plan, but something I've considered. I want all the bunnies in the world

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I am with everyone else. Selling a pure bred as a pet has been easier than a mix for me. Ten fold. Because people want that certain breed or floppy ears. If you have a market go for it but I moved away from it due to difficulty selling them. For anything. The smaller rabbits are just that. Small. Not as much meat as a larger one.

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mixes like that around here would go for around $10 (if they sell)... not really a profit when you are buy hay and pellets to feed them until they sell.Plus the cages and added food for the doe...
If you want to do it for the fun of it and can find some customers than thats great I just hope you don't think you are going to be making very much. I don't agree with pet store mentality (sell,sell,sell) but maybe if you have a local private owned one you could strike up a deal. My brother worked for a small time pet store for a few years and the owners where great and they treated the animals with great care.

Kirsten miller

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! I raise lionheads and I can say that there is a good chance these guys carry lionhead, when someone crosses a lionhead to another breed it makes the mane basicly lesser and lesser with every cross breeding. People think if I have a fluffy lionhead and breed it to say a Rex that I will get these wonderfully fluffy little lionrexes that's just not the way it works. I cannot stress to you how many mixed rabbits I see on a daily basis being sold at auction as meat rabbits or to a cull buyer (same thing) if your interested in breeding and selling I very highly reccomend starting from scratch getting cages instead of throwing them all in the same space(not a fan of that myself) and working on 1 breed and pedigreeing them. They will be much easier to sell that way. Anyways back to your question they look like they have Rex in them possibly with some lionhead in there and they have what looks like fly back/roll back fur so probably some kind of meat rabbit in there too.