Help me understand Pinkeye, Chlamydia, Abortion, et al.

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm in my second year of the sheep game, and this year I have 8 pregnant ewes. All took with first cycle exposure to my young (now 9 months) ram - yes! They were all bred between Sept 30 and Oct. 21st, making them between and 3.5 - 6.5 weeks pregnant at the moment.

However, one of my ewes had some gooey eyes a couple of weeks ago. I separated her immediately (I think withn 24 hours - possibly a little less/more?) and have been watching her closely - it wasn't very noticeable at first, so I believe I got her early.

I've been reading and researching pinkeye/conjunctivitis, chlamydial conjunctivitis, etc. and am confused - please help me if you can!

My ewes do share a hay 'trough' (I made it similar to Premier one where the hay falls/is pulled through the 4x4 inch wire panel) and some of the hay they've been getting lately is rough, so of course they stick their heads into the hay and she could quite easily have poked herself in the eye, inviting a subsequent eye infection. From what I've read, this could be some version of chlamydia, correct?

My question is this: If this is indeed a chlamydia infection, is is the SAME 'chlamydia' strain (not sure if that's the correct word) that causes 'chlamydial abortions'? Ie, if this was purely an infection caused by a poke in the eye, does that mean that this simple eye infection could pose abortion problems in my flock at some point?

It seems crazy that an eye infection could do this... or are there many strains/versions of chlamydia, and the eye infection, if is IS chlamydial, may be a more benign infection that affects the eye only?

I've read a million different approaches to treating pinkeye, and initially took the 'just let it heal itself' approach that's promoted by some, not having read at the time the (possibly link) to abortion. Now I've treated it with this product, initially called 'Pink Eye Guard', but not yet with any type of antibiotics. https://www.petware.ca/products/guard-wound-spray-500ml

Thanks for any help you can give; I sincerely hope a poke in the eye doesn't cause this much potential damage...
Dan

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
My question is this: If this is indeed a chlamydia infection, is is the SAME 'chlamydia' strain (not sure if that's the correct word) that causes 'chlamydial abortions'?
A chlamydia infection 'can' be be the same critter that causes abortions, but not necessarily so. It has to be the Chlamydophila abortus bacteria, but there is more than one chlamydia bacteria that affects sheep and not all cause abortions. Such as Chlamydophila pecorum.

Ie, if this was purely an infection caused by a poke in the eye, does that mean that this simple eye infection could pose abortion problems in my flock at some point?

Transmission, ifit's like the type that affect cattle, & assuming the ewe really has the variant that causes abortions, is by direct contact with aerosols, blood and other body fluids, dust, bird feces and a host of other vectors.

The sheep folks will be here in the morning with more and better info than I know or can find.

(Pinkeye btw, is just a catchall term for any illness, malady or disease that includes conjunctivitis..bacterial, allergenic, or viral)

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
As far as I understand it, the organism of enzootic abortion in sheep is Chlamydia abortus (previously called Chlamydia psittacosis (var. ovis). It can also cause 'pink eye' more properly known as infectious keratoconjunctivitis....but so can several other organisms such as Mycoplasma conjunctiva.

Theses organisms are spread between animals when they rub their heads together especially when they are feeding from restricted-headroom feeders. The organisms can be spread by insects in the summer and by driving winds in the winter (leading to 'snowblindness').

Try to make sure that animals have lots of headroom at feeders and quarantine animals whilst treating them if only a few are affected.

I've had a major problem with 'pink eye' this summer due to affectionate lambs who are forever head-rubbing each other.

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

So, Sheepshape - you're saying that's it's possible the abortus variety of chlamydia preceded/caused the pinkeye/conjunctivitis?

At the same time, it's also possible that this is merely caused by mycoplasma?

We did recently have kittens on the farm, although the sheep were not eating hay at that point, 3 months ago.

I guess technically it could be any of the three common causes, then!
- The sheep share a feeder (I built another one yesterday to double their space) and often have their heads buried in hay trying to get the tastiest bits;
- I have two cats and recently had kittens on the farm - in fact, the kittens were initially in part of the hay storage area which I'll be avoiding as much as possible;
- and my flock (which I culled in September, and followed up with a massive disinfecting, building new coop far from the orginal one) had some sort of chronic respiratory diseases, possible some variety of toxoplasmosis.

I guess the task now is to see if toxoplasma can spread from birds to sheep.

All of this leaves me not really knowing what's going on! To the experienced sheep folk, how do you deal with sheep diseases? I guess I hope for the best, and go ahead expecting lambs in late February according to my shiny new Excel file. Hopefully it's just from a poke, and not going to send a raft of aborted lambs my way in February... :(

Thanks for any other info/help people can provide!

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

So, Sheepshape - you're saying that's it's possible the abortus variety of chlamydia preceded/caused the pinkeye/conjunctivitis?

At the same time, it's also possible that this is merely caused by mycoplasma?

We did recently have kittens on the farm, although the sheep were not eating hay at that point, 3 months ago.

I guess technically it could be any of the three common causes, then!
- The sheep share a feeder (I built another one yesterday to double their space) and often have their heads buried in hay trying to get the tastiest bits;
- I have two cats and recently had kittens on the farm - in fact, the kittens were initially in part of the hay storage area which I'll be avoiding as much as possible;
- and my flock (which I culled in September, and followed up with a massive disinfecting, building new coop far from the orginal one) had some sort of chronic respiratory diseases, possible some variety of toxoplasmosis.

I guess the task now is to see if toxoplasma can spread from birds to sheep.

All of this leaves me not really knowing what's going on! To the experienced sheep folk, how do you deal with sheep diseases? I guess I hope for the best, and go ahead expecting lambs in late February according to my shiny new Excel file. Hopefully it's just from a poke, and not going to send a raft of aborted lambs my way in February... :(

Thanks for any other info/help people can provide!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could be from a poke in the eye from a hay stem. You could take her to the vet, run a test and make sure. At the very least, get some eye drops to make her eye feel better. With all the information you have, no wonder you are worried and overloaded.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
if toxoplasma can spread from birds to sheep

Shepard0..there's no question about that, tho it's often an indirect link, and there are different varieties of toxo. Infected birds commonly scavenges what they can from a feed trough, poops in the feed trough or in the hay while eating any seeds that may be in the hay and the livestock eats the feces infected hay or feed. The eggs are in the feces and take several days to hatch.

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks Greybeard. Okay... so toxoplasmosis from the chickens could be 'the' toxoplasmosis that causes abortion (aside from the chlamydia link)?

I haven't actually had chickens for about 2.5 months, and they didn't have much/any connection with the sheep. It would likely have had to be contact with old feces, if anything.

Anyhoo, having treated the ewe already (she seems to be much better now) I'm going to keep her isolated for a couple more weeks, as I know they can shed the bacteria for some time after improving.

That said, if something's going to happen, I guess it's going to happen... crossing my fingers that it won't! Animals can be so frustrating. Why can't they just always be healthy!!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay... so toxoplasmosis from the chickens could be 'the' toxoplasmosis that causes abortion (aside from the chlamydia link)?
Emphasis should be on could, but equally as possible for it to have come (IF it did at all) from a field mouse, a wild bird, an insect or any of a dozen other vectors.

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay. And it's a big 'if' correct? Ie, it's possible she just got a poke in the eye, developed some conjunctivitis, it's now on its way to being healed, and life goes on as normal, correct? Ie, there's no guarantee that it will progress to anything worse like (eg) an abortion storm or whatever.