Help, my 2 mini mules won't let me handle them!

badweather

Just born
Reaction score
I got one mine mule that was 2 years old. You could herd him up into a barn and catch him, he would turn his butt toward you but not kick. When you got him haltered you could walk him around and do a few things. Well, i bought a 3 year old little molly mule. She was handled by a little girl. I thought maybe that would make him easier and more trustworthy. She humped up at me one day while I was feeding her, like she was going to kick me and I tossed the feed scoop at her. She has been afraid of me since then. I have tried everything. My grandaughter can handle her and my daughter can rub her head, but not me.

What can I do. They both need trimming and I can't catch them. If I get them into the barn they freak out. I don't want them to get hurt. They will take treats out of my hands but the molly won't let me touch her. She will follow me all over the pasture and is so curious about everything I do, just no touching. Need expert advice. I have hurt my back a week ago and can't do much pulling on either of them.

kailiecrissman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You could try having your daughter catch her and attach a lead line to her halter. Slowly approach her while your daughter holds her, speak calmly to her and try to pet her neck or shoulder first, as long as you don't pet her face first. If she lets you touch her, give her a treat and words of approval and encouragement.
See where it goes from the initial contact.

Hope this helps. :)

taylorm17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree. I would also say sit out in their pasture and just be part of her environment. If she doesn't come up to you have your daughter catch her. Have her walk her around you and sit next to you to let her know you are good. Spend a lot of time with her with someone else she trusts so she knows everything will be fine. Then build it up and hold her yourself with another person just nearby. Then finally be just you and her. Lots of treats, love, high pitched voices, smiles... Make sure you feed her so she knows that you care for her. Equine can sense emotions too. Never work her or pet her with an unhappy face or when you are tired, grumpy, mad... Make sure you are the best mood when you are near her to let her know that you are a good person who loves her. I hope this helps and you are able to work with her soon.