Help! My cow had a stillborn but 2 months later still has a full udder

gruen13

Just born
Reaction score
Hello - I have an 8 yr old Irish Dexter cow who had a deformed still born calf in January (her first stillborn, but not her first calf). She had a very full udder prior to parturition, and still has an incredibly swollen udder (not red, inflamed, looks fine). She has occasional leakage from the teats. Shouldn't she have dried up by now? We haven't noticed her nursing the other calves, but I wonder if she isn't letting the 4 other calves nurse? She also has developed a weird pattern on her hair (body, legs) like it is striated? This has been more recently. She eats well, walks around fine, doesn't act sick. Anyone else have a similar experience or know what else could be going on? We are having the vet come out tomorrow afternoon to check it out, but we're spending an awful lot of money have the vet troubleshoot our cattle problems! Thanks everyone!

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
It almost sounds like she is letting the calves nurse her, but I'd like to see a pic of her and hear from the other members first before any sound conclusion can be made...

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
X 2. Esp. if the milk is normal looking. Let us know what the vet says!