Help, my ewe is taking bites out of her lamb

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bottle feed the lamb and ship the ewe. That sort of behavior is unacceptable. If people would quit mollycoddling these animals and got rid of them then they would be able to enjoy they ones that are good animals.
Does she have sore swollen teats so that the lamb is hurting her when it tries to nurse? Is she associating the lamb with pain? If she has a problem udder then you need to fix that ...treatment for mastitis etc.... or she needs to go.
It is unfair to leave the lamb with her and allow her to savage it.

Daisy1702

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bottle feed the lamb and ship the ewe. That sort of behavior is unacceptable. If people would quit mollycoddling these animals and got rid of them then they would be able to enjoy they ones that are good animals.
Does she have sore swollen teats so that the lamb is hurting her when it tries to nurse? Is she associating the lamb with pain? If she has a problem udder then you need to fix that ...treatment for mastitis etc.... or she needs to go.
It is unfair to leave the lamb with her and allow her to savage it.
Id stop breeding her but i wouldnt sell her. She is a champion ewe

Katrina Anon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you can get two or three pallets you can make your own head gate platform very easily. Also cheaply!

The easiest way to separate the slats from the pallet because they won't be removed easily, ask me how I know, is to go in there with a jig or reciprocating saw and cut through the nails and don't worry about them so much you cannot some of them out if you want. But with some wood screws and Electric drill you can put it together in almost 10 minutes. I use a length of chain to keep the head gate closed, and then I can use it for different type animals that have wider necks than some of my goats.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Id stop breeding her but i wouldnt sell her. She is a champion ewe
Unless you plan to breed her and bottle feed every lamb she produces, she is worthless. Send her to the auction.

Champions are valuable only because they are expected to lamb and raise more champions carrying their genes. If she is going to kill or damage her lambs, then she is not fulfilling that purpose. If this is something peculiar to her genes, she might pass it on to her lambs and soon you will have a flock of lamb biting ewes. Just get rid of her.