Help...my preg goats have lice!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi all...I’ve suspected that Busty have some issue for a bit...but, I posted pictures on a different forum and was consoled that it was just her thick winter coat. Since Stormy never nibbled, I thought it was ok...fast forward....that gave both been doing it lately. Tonight I got them on the goat stand. Saw nothing on Bust...but, on Stormy, I saw, little brown, roundish...fast crawling guys...lice! I had bought the perthyerin before when I suspected it...the kind you do on the ridge of the back. Because it’s winter...I don’t want to get them wet?.? Going to TS. First thing in the morning to buy whatever you all say...have to remedy this situation ASAP for the girls and the kids!! But...they look great!!

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ivermectin 1% cattle and swine injectable. 1 cc per 100 lbs for lice/mites. As long as they are sucking lice and not biting lice. If it wasn't winter i would do a permethrin bath.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
i know that de can help chickens not sure i would feel comfortable with the chemicals but i feel that way about alot of things.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may want to check what is safe for your pregnant goats ......
Ok...yes..I did check awhile back, with the first scare, that those two were safe for pregnant goats...so check #1...read the article...I think they are the biting lice...they were not blueish-grey...and were not on legs..etc...plus, the girls have good Faschma score... check #2...after the ivermectin, I clean out the bedding...do I spray out the barn with permytherin? Check #3... after giving ivermectin, do I give them a good rub of DE too? Check #4...I too, have stayed away from chemicals, and used herbals for dewormer, etc...but, this close to kidding..I need to knock out those buggers, and keep the kiddos safe...check #5.... ok, I think that’s it!! Thanks...if you think of anything else...that’d be great!! :)

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
You don't have to use both ON the goats, lice.are common in the winter especially when there are chickens in the area, I have a few chickens that hang in the goat house at night...guess I better check mine in the morning for lice !
It's just my own personal choice to use the DE for lice...I am not against working with chemicals or worming with chemicals.... and do it as needed...I just am a little paranoid when my girls are pregnant that's why the DE is my preference :)
I change out as much hay bedding as I can and dust with the DE then add new bedding......just my abnormal thing !

Last edited: