Help...my preg goats have lice!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure if you saw, but I’m having chicken issues too....it could be external parasites? But...the chickens are....geez...two ftball fields away from each other....but perhaps the buggers jump on me? I didn’t think fowl parasites were the same as large animal parasites? Anyways...got my list..definitely buying more than needed...but, I’m a return kind of girl...I’d rather tetur it, than NOT have it!! Thanks guys...once again!!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
the de does help for external my chickens had chicken lice at one point and the de got rid of them after that i regularly provide wood ash for them and also from time to time de. and yes lice are a fun bug that can not live on another animal then the one they are on nother words you cant get chicken lice granted they can crawl on you and be annoying but they dont survive. even lice that lives on use is funny that way head lice only can survive on your head and ect on the other lice.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
the de does help for external my chickens had chicken lice at one point and the de got rid of them after that i regularly provide wood ash for them and also from time to time de. and yes lice are a fun bug that can not live on another animal then the one they are on nother words you cant get chicken lice granted they can crawl on you and be annoying but they dont survive. even lice that lives on use is funny that way head lice only can survive on your head and ect on the other lice.
Yeah, I knew they couldn’t get on me..and honestly...I didn’t even care,,,this isn’t about me..it’s about my animals!
, so would you recommend using DE after the permytheryn powider?
i keeeeeeep telling Chris I need his wood ashes...and he fogets...ugh!! Drives me nuts...I think I’m going to put a sign on the wood burner
, :lol:

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt but I would be nervous about the permythen with them I had a bad experience with using it along time ago I had an animal who we dipped for fleas and she had a sever allergic reaction to it we almost lost her. The other thing is both can cause breathing issues if inhaled so I would do then a few days apart to prevent any issues incase they had a reaction.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or sulfur dust....massage gently into and under the coat, making sure to really do the areas where skin is thinnest very well. You can also give them a drench with garlic juice in it as an added incentive.

Another thing and this sounds crazy but many swear by it....keep a little ACV in all your watering buckets. https://www.willwinter.com/single-post/2013/06/11/Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Stories

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do I spray down the barn walls and floor after I clean up the bedding and give the shots? Also..my pot belly pigs came from the same bad farm...my big one...keeps going to the hay and straw piles and rubbing his belly on it...scratching due to lice? Should I inject them too? I read they can have ivermectin also. I don’t see red scales skin, but I di see a lot of flaking, which is pretty normal...but there’s no way to see his belly...honestly, I’d rather give them the shots, since they are rubbing against stuff...and be safe, rather than risk a reinfestation??.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ivermectin 1% cattle and swine injectable. 1 cc per 100 lbs for lice/mites. As long as they are sucking lice and not biting lice. If it wasn't winter i would do a permethrin bath.
I’m going to give the shots now..but also to my fat pot belly pigs...do I give the shots in the shoulder! Do I pull up the skin on the back on the goats, like the CD&T?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do I spray down the barn walls and floor after I clean up the bedding and give the shots? Also..my pot belly pigs came from the same bad farm...my big one...keeps going to the hay and straw piles and rubbing his belly on it...scratching due to lice? Should I inject them too? I read they can have ivermectin also. I don’t see red scales skin, but I di see a lot of flaking, which is pretty normal...but there’s no way to see his belly...honestly, I’d rather give them the shots, since they are rubbing against stuff...and be safe, rather than risk a reinfestation??.

If you treat the animals, it should take care of the lice and I'd assume the pig has them also....same source and same symptoms. You can clean out bedding and such but I doubt you'd have to spray down walls.

Keep moisture and humidity down in the housing and get some sunlight and lots of fresh air in there.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m going to give the shots now..but also to my fat pot belly pigs...do I give the shots in the shoulder! Do I pull up the skin on the back on the goats, like the CD&T?

I have no idea about those things as I've never used Ivermectin or given any animals injections other than a cow once. You may want to start a separate thread on it so you can get input from folks who have done so. @Baymule might be able to help you on the pigs and @B&B Happy goats can help you on the goats.

Latest posts