help my rabbits are dying

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just got four rabbits from a friend this is my first time owning rabbits and I love them already but two have died just out of nowhere. the first one died yesterday morning and the second died some time last night. before getting them I researched and went and bought some timothy grass that I keep in the feeder for them and give them some fresh basil and cabbage out of my own garden for little snacks. is it something I am feeding them? I also take them out of the hutch at night and put them in a run that I built for them during the day. But it rained all day the day before yesterday and I couldn't take them out. could it be something in the hutch? please help I only have two rabbits left and really don't want to lose them.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cabbage is something that should be fed sparingly, if at all. It is known to cause bloat in rabbits; which can often be fatal. The "tried and true" feeding program for rabbits is a good quality pelleted feed, grass hay, and clean water. While rabbits are getting used to a new home, it's probably safest to stick to that, and only start adding greens or other treats once they have settled in.

Just out of curiosity, how old are these rabbits? Young rabbits' digestive systems can be pretty delicate; they can develop diarrhea with any change, and that can rapidly be fatal.

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
thank you I didn't know that I will deff stop the snacks and the ones who died are young just weaned but did not see any diarrhea and I have one little one left with an adult..

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
they where all acting normal when I last seen them @Hens and Roos they where eating and drinking and running up to the cage for me to take them outside

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
What age is "just weaned?" 3 weeks? !0 weeks? :idunno

The little one with the adult - what ages, genders, and what relationship is there (is this a kit with its mother, for example)?

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Bunnylady I don't know the age the man I got them from was going to kill them and eat them he just told me that they are weaned but the female I have with them is not the mother. but the are all females.

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The adult seems to be doing fine though it is just the babies I keep losing. I hope that he didn't take them from the mom to soon.

Latest posts