HELP! Need Advice Immediately!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't usually do this, but I don't know where to turn on this one.

I just got my new llama (Nick) today and had put him into the pen that I split in two with field fence. Sid is on one side and Nick on the other. Both Sid and Nick are neutered males.

There was a bit of fussing and posturing and Sid, my first llama was acting freaked out for a while.

I give them both food (their containers are on opposite sides) and water and let them be.

A few hours later, I come back to feed them, check their water for the night and see how they are. Nick is in Sid's pen. :barnie Somehow Nick pulled the field fencing down between them and came over to the other side. No blood or spit. Nobody is upset, until I enter the pen. Then, the posturing begins and they act like they're going to spit at each other. I feed them and Sid is acting like an idiot. I put a halter on him and walk him around outside the pen to calm him down and then he goes back in. Everyone is okay, but Sid is acting weird. :idunno

I leave and when I pick up firewood, I find Nick lying down and Sid eating calmly from the bucket Nick was eating from. I don't know why they get aggressive the moment I show up, but seem to be fine when I'm away (resource guarding?) :hu

So, I'm worried about a couple of things. One is will Nick try to do a Houdini and escape the pens? They're 6 foot tall chainlink panels. Only the ends aren't attached to the barn, but I do have rocks holding them in place. Granted, we just had the field fence kind of attached to the barn (didn't have a good way to secure it). :he

Second, am I an idiot to not try to separate them again? Will I end up with bloody llamas? Is their behavior something akin to resource guarding, where I am the resource? Does Sid, despite his weird behavior, think he needs to establish himself as dominate llama when I'm around? :hu

Help! I need to know.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would say they are working out their herd order. It could also be that Sid feels that he needs to protect you from the new one. I would give it some time. Llamas sometimes don't like other llamas just like some personalities just don't click with people. As long as they aren't having drag down knock out to the death fights, you are probably ok. Are both llamas able to get out of the elements? That would be the only thing I would be concerned about.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I would say they are working out their herd order. It could also be that Sid feels that he needs to protect you from the new one. I would give it some time. Llamas sometimes don't like other llamas just like some personalities just don't click with people. As long as they aren't having drag down knock out to the death fights, you are probably ok. Are both llamas able to get out of the elements? That would be the only thing I would be concerned about.
Yes, I have a long shelter that they can lie down in and still not have to cuddle up to each other. Nick has been a sheep herd guardian, which probably means he didn't get much shelter. Sid has been lying out in the weather when I thought he should get under the shelter. :rolleyes:

Do you think Nick will try to escape or was this just my idiocy in making a not very stout barrier between the two? Tomorrow is rock day where I will find the biggest rocks to keep that pen secure.:barnie

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Probably just because he can jump the fence he is. I would just leave them together. All you can do is see what he does. It could be he just didn't want to be alone. Who knows. I wouldn't think he would jump 6' fence but it can happen. Sounds like he stays when he is with Sid though.