Help needed please...trying to save my eight month old doe, got her in august ,

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Purchased a doe in mid august, born feb. 5th. Just realized last week she was pregnant . She is eight months old, has not been eating, is in birthing pen, kids are moving around alot, is a little dialated, mucus plug out, little white discharge, no consistant contractions, but screams like crazy when she gets one, Have been using syringe to get electrolytes into her as she appears to be stuck in her own head and clueless. she is exhausted, and has not enough stregnth to get up and stand on her own. Ligaments are soft, some discharge, please let me know what i can do to help her...i have not gone inside to check anything because their is movement and i don't she has so much a physical problem but more of a scared and exhausted problem.....i am repostioning her every hour so she is not just stuck laying down, i do stand her up but have to support her.....no vets around here deal with goats so am looking for any ideas anyone may have....thank you

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
What does her udder look like?

I would be more worried about her inability to stand than anything else right now. Does in labor...at least early labor...should not lose the ability to stand. (There is a small possibility that she has pressure on a nerve that could be causing an issue - but that is fairly uncommon.) But, if she is exhausted from contractions then I'd lube up and do a quick finger sweep and see if she's dilated or has any part of a baby at the cervix.

I'm wondering if her weakness is coming from a different cause. Have you taken her temp? Has she been checked for parasites?

Really hope this has a positive outcome!

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
In labor at 8 months! That was a very irresponsible owner! That means she got bred at only 3 moths old:somad. I am very worried for your goat. :hitShe is not developed enough to pass a kid in my opinion. My youngest girls are just now 8 months and they still drink from their mothers!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a neighbor that bought an eight week old baby doe that delivered 5 months later at 7 months - so while not ideal it IS possible. I've personally had one that delivered at 9 months... oops happens.

If her udder is that full and she's having contractions I urge you to lube up and explore. At first you should just use a finger or two and see if she's dilated internally. If you hit a dead end and she's totally closed then you don't have a lot of choice except to wait a bit longer. If you feel baby parts you must try to identify what you feel. Has her water broken?

I hate that you don't have a vet available...

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am at same thought as you, quite angry as a matter of fact its like a ten or twelve year old child giving birth...however, she made thru the last two nights, i sty to stay with her but she hasr that far away in her own head look, i thought she would be gone this morning but electrolytes and lamb and kid suppliment brought her back , going to go check again, thanks for the response, i dont feel so all alome.....

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had a neighbor that bought an eight week old baby doe that delivered 5 months later at 7 months - so while not ideal it IS possible. I've personally had one that delivered at 9 months... oops happens.

If her udder is that full and she's having contractions I urge you to lube up and explore. At first you should just use a finger or two and see if she's dilated internally. If you hit a dead end and she's totally closed then you don't have a lot of choice except to wait a bit longer. If you feel baby parts you must try to identify what you feel. Has her water broken?

I hate that you don't have a vet available...
Have you really had one birth that young?