Help needed please...trying to save my eight month old doe, got her in august ,

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I hope you’re ok! I’m in Tallahassee, so we’ll be getting hit, too.

We have/had a number of folks from FL here on BYH. They come and go, some stay. I thought (for some reason) that you were in the Clearwater or Orlando area... :idunno Regardless, I hope you fare well in the state capital. From appearances, there will be damage and trees/power lines down, but the storm seems to be picking up speed, (though not weakening very fast), so maybe you won't have to deal with it for quite as long. :fl

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've heard from an internet acquaintance that raises cattle about 50 miles N of Pensacola. He's safe, and the house is still there but as he put it "everything looks to be gone".
Must have been really rough for awhile. Glad all here have weathered thru so far.

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about Samantha, having raised goats since i was 18, i have never seen a year like this. I'm 67. And although i was getting pretty cocky about my record after last year and this year I'm almost ready to fold. I have in the last 4 years always tied my bucks to protect and know dates, and now I tie my does. Usually the buck is in another area where does aren't this year after an abortion from low copper. I thought I was watching my kids closely and I always castrate the bucklings on their 12th week religiously. That being said a week ago I noticed that the doeling's utter was swelling, all I can figure was she was bred by brother at 8 weeks. From now on the bands come out at 7 wks. She didn't make it. Counting on next year. Another strange thing this year, my jersey heifer born June 10th came in heat Sept 5th and is due for her Oct heat any day now, looked it up on web and found out that although its not common they can come in after 3rd month, this one push that even earlier. Glad I use AI. Wish I could on the goats, cause not a possibility in this area yet. Now to get back to my point. As a child raising goats, cattle, sheep, rabbits. My father told me that two weeks or more before you know or have an inkling their to birth to start feeding your pregnant stock a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of seed rye, or ground rye, "and they'll just slip right out" did that to the cow watched her 24 7 for 10 days, ready to call vet went in the house for a bite came back out calf was up and dry and she had no problem not to the goats and had to help some. In the past I know some of the goats were early but the kidds passed fine. I would start giving your other goat some rye can't hurt and hopefully will help her pass them. Good luck

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just came on to make sure that all you BYHers in Florida are safe. Glad to see you made it through without losing any people or animals. Still a bad storm even though the worst is over for you. Now the clean up. :hugs

@Ron Bequeath interesting about the rye. I wonder where I can get some. Rye like in rye bread, not rye grass seed, right? Maybe a health store? Or can I order it on line. If it is crop seed, probably can't get it locally. I will check on it. If it is only 1/4 cup serving, it shouldn't take too much for my 4 ewes if I have to order it on line.

Dee Mini Pigs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Dee from mini pigs Australia, thinking of you all, I have some idea what you are all going through, as I live in an area on North Queensland, that cops a cyclone or two every year, we are now approaching that time. When times are tough, we all need to all stick together, in the physical way but mentally as well. Stay strong and keep looking after our wonderful animals, as I know you all will. Lots of love and stay safe.

Latest posts