Help, New Doe With Dog Logs.... Recurring Issue, What To Give??

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I bought a new doe around Nov 20th. Nigerin Dwarf.

When we got her, her fur was just horrible- thin, brittle, dry, and sparse. She had kidded about 4 months prior, is about 5 years old. She came from a large herd that included some really nice stock that was used for showing. She was pretty much used as a breeder, not a shower, so I think she didn't get the best of anything. (just my thought, I could be very wrong) Also got a 8 month old buck from the same place at the same time. He shows NO signs of any illness, nor do any of the rest of my herd.

As soon as she got here, we wormed her (injectable ivomec), trimmed her hooves, gave her pro-bios, and gave her CD&T vaccination (gave buck same treatment, as well as worming my whole herd same day).

About 3 weeks after she got here, she started having clumpy poo. I gave pro-bios again. Clumpy poo was on and off for about 2 weeks, then seemed to clear up. Her fur is 100% better, thick and soft with a full undercoat.

3 days ago I did a check of gums and eye lids for signs of worms and a few goats including her were looking a bit pale, so I chose to re-worm. Also gave pro-bios.

Today her poo has gone to dog logs. Im concerned about this. I would like to clear it up as I believe she was bred at the previous owners place before I got her (have no idea as to due date, but no udder formed yet, and she had a 4 month old kid when I got her).

Could this be a simple change of diet?
Biggest difference between here and her last place is pasture, she didn't have it before. ALSO, we feed goat chow which I don't think she got before (very small amounts) I have loose minerals and baking soda out all the time.
I feed alfalfa hay daily.

Could it really be taking 2 months for her system to adjust? Or does it sound like I need to do more? She is the only one with issues, 5 other goats are fine.

I have on hand-
pro-bios
pennicillan
scour halt
vitamin B injectable
baking soda
molasses
ivomec injectable
corrid 1.5 % oral solution

I would like to treat as gently as possible, unless it sounds like she needs more. I don't think its cocci- no runny poo, no other goats infected and this issue has cleared up then returned. Seems to coincide with getting higher quality feed like goat chow, BOSS, any treats (which Ive stopped for her)

BTW, her rumen is normal size, appetite is very good, no other signs of illness.

Would love some advice including dosage amounts- I swear I forget everything I know about goat medicine when one of mine gets sick!!! I feel helpless and dumb, like I have never had a single goat in my life! Anyone else panic like this? :p

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry I can't be of more help, but you can give probios a couple times a day for a few days in a row. My girl had clumpy poo when I brought her back from the breeders (I'm assuming stress/ change of hay etc) and after I did this it went away completely. If anything it won't hurt!

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I gave her pro bios today, and no grain or treats...and low and behold...she is back to berries!! YAY!

Although since she is a shy girl, it makes it tough to bribe her for friendship when I can't offer treats or grain to get her close to me. I think it was/is stress of new environment, and feed change.
I guess she just has a sensitive tummy...

Still gonna watch her close though....

B'Orion Farms

Just born
Reaction score
pridegoethb4thefall said:
I bought a new doe around Nov 20th. Nigerin Dwarf.

When we got her, her fur was just horrible- thin, brittle, dry, and sparse. She had kidded about 4 months prior, is about 5 years old. She came from a large herd that included some really nice stock that was used for showing. She was pretty much used as a breeder, not a shower, so I think she didn't get the best of anything. (just my thought, I could be very wrong) Also got a 8 month old buck from the same place at the same time. He shows NO signs of any illness, nor do any of the rest of my herd.

As soon as she got here, we wormed her (injectable ivomec), trimmed her hooves, gave her pro-bios, and gave her CD&T vaccination (gave buck same treatment, as well as worming my whole herd same day).

About 3 weeks after she got here, she started having clumpy poo. I gave pro-bios again. Clumpy poo was on and off for about 2 weeks, then seemed to clear up. Her fur is 100% better, thick and soft with a full undercoat.

3 days ago I did a check of gums and eye lids for signs of worms and a few goats including her were looking a bit pale, so I chose to re-worm. Also gave pro-bios.

Today her poo has gone to dog logs. Im concerned about this. I would like to clear it up as I believe she was bred at the previous owners place before I got her (have no idea as to due date, but no udder formed yet, and she had a 4 month old kid when I got her).

Could this be a simple change of diet?
Biggest difference between here and her last place is pasture, she didn't have it before. ALSO, we feed goat chow which I don't think she got before (very small amounts) I have loose minerals and baking soda out all the time.
I feed alfalfa hay daily.

Could it really be taking 2 months for her system to adjust? Or does it sound like I need to do more? She is the only one with issues, 5 other goats are fine.

I have on hand-
pro-bios
pennicillan
scour halt
vitamin B injectable
baking soda
molasses
ivomec injectable
corrid 1.5 % oral solution

I would like to treat as gently as possible, unless it sounds like she needs more. I don't think its cocci- no runny poo, no other goats infected and this issue has cleared up then returned. Seems to coincide with getting higher quality feed like goat chow, BOSS, any treats (which Ive stopped for her)

BTW, her rumen is normal size, appetite is very good, no other signs of illness.

Would love some advice including dosage amounts- I swear I forget everything I know about goat medicine when one of mine gets sick!!! I feel helpless and dumb, like I have never had a single goat in my life! Anyone else panic like this? :p
I chuckled at your last comment because it so ME. Yep, I panic a very little sign of possibly illness and suddenly want someone else to tell me what to do. When I probably know....my insecurity.:idunno

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
Have you done a fecal? I would do that first. :)
Im pretty small time here, doing most things on a budget, so... paying for a fecal on my herd isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

I tend to watch them very closely, spend lots of time with them, so if thins aren't right, I usually notice pretty quickly. As far as worming goes, I just watch the eyelids and gums and if I even suspect worms, I treat vigorously. I also watch to make sure energy is up, weight is up and everything looks good. I also keep an eye on each ones elimination- pee looks normal amount and color, droppings normal color, shape and consistency. (yeah, i admit to watching them probably too closely for their own personal comfort! :lol: ).

In my 'dreams for someday' ranch, I can afford to have the vet out for regular check ups and fecals, and have no worries about the costs of anything. Just not quite there yet, so until then, I do my best as far as worming goes, and only call in the big guns when I really can't handle something ( serious injury, deathly ill, kidding trouble, etc). Maybe someday Ill learn to do them myself, it doesn't seem to hard..

Thanks for the advice though!

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We gave ours Probios brand probiotics when their poo started to look like that for whatever reason. It cleared right up and hasn't returned since we started mixing it in with their minerals, baking soda, and AC. Maybe just give the probiotics time to start working. If not, then a fecal really is the only way to know for sure. It's usually about $35-$45 around here to have it done at the vets. Well worth it if you have a serious illness on your hands though. You can also learn to do your own. That's what I want to learn how to do next. Good luck! :)

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im pretty small time here, doing most things on a budget, so... paying for a fecal on my herd isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

I tend to watch them very closely, spend lots of time with them, so if thins aren't right, I usually notice pretty quickly. As far as worming goes, I just watch the eyelids and gums and if I even suspect worms, I treat vigorously. I also watch to make sure energy is up, weight is up and everything looks good. I also keep an eye on each ones elimination- pee looks normal amount and color, droppings normal color, shape and consistency. (yeah, i admit to watching them probably too closely for their own personal comfort! :lol: ).

In my 'dreams for someday' ranch, I can afford to have the vet out for regular check ups and fecals, and have no worries about the costs of anything. Just not quite there yet, so until then, I do my best as far as worming goes, and only call in the big guns when I really can't handle something ( serious injury, deathly ill, kidding trouble, etc). Maybe someday Ill learn to do them myself, it doesn't seem to hard..

If you can collect the poo fresh from the goat in a ziplock baggie you can take it to the vet for a single fecal, call around and ask them the prices, I've seen them as low as $15 bucks. :)

That way, if she has worms, or cocci, you will know exactly what she has and what to treat her with. More effective IMHO than just throwing meds at them. :)

Lupa Duende

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have not read anything on baking soda for goats..., can someone explain please?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score

If you can collect the poo fresh from the goat in a ziplock baggie you can take it to the vet for a single fecal, call around and ask them the prices, I've seen them as low as $15 bucks. :)

That way, if she has worms, or cocci, you will know exactly what she has and what to treat her with. More effective IMHO than just throwing meds at them. :)
x2

$15 sounds right. Or learn to do your own (I am doing that right now even though my vet doesn't charge us for fecals because I'd like to be able to check whenever I'd like to).

Giving them meds for parasites without knowing what kind of parasites is more expensive than testing and treating with the right meds. 1) If they don't have parasites, and goats can go years without having a problem, they do not need meds 2) giving meds without needs causes resistance to those meds so when you do need them to work, they won't and it causes the rest of us to suffer as well when those resistant strains of parasites spread to our animals (this is a huge issue) 3) if they do need to be treated, the medication needed depends on the type of parasite they have----if you have baberpole and use a wormer for tapes, no good has come from using the medication---you could end up spending money on 3 or 4 meds before guessing it right which will cost more than a fecal test and one correct med and will have exposed the goats to meds they did not need which, again, breeds resistance.

Sorry it this sounds harsh but fecal testing is part of goat ownership and with the limited number of medications available to all of us, it is important to all owners that we not create resistance to those.

Latest posts