Help!! New goat mommy in CT.

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello friends!! I'm so grateful for this site!! I have recently adopted 2 bred Nigerian Dwarf does due in mid March. I have wanted goats my entire life, now I have them and need the knowledge to keep them happy and healthy!!! They are together in the barn with fresh water and a bale of hay and bedding of shavings. They look happy and healthy so far...we picked them up on Sunday. Our property Is 4 acres of red brand goat fence. The gentleman we got them from said to feed Noble Goat so I have that and I'm not sure how much to feed? Do they need additional supplies I'm not offering yet? I can go get anything I may need...such as mineral pail?! Any and all help is greatly appreciated. My boyfriend and I have 5 dogs, 1 cat, 10 chickens and 1 hive of bees. We are very excited to be a part of goat life :) and pics will follow :) thank you Heather

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
image.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Good Morning Heather! Welcome from the front range in Colorado! :welcome Your girls look very pretty! Congrats!

Of course they'll need access to water... Sure you know that. You'll want to provide them hay "free choice" so they can have it as they want it. Most say their goats won't eat hay that's touched the ground so it's best to keep it up if you can. Lots of feeder ideas here on the site. Many feed their goats nothing more. Since they are pregnant, they will need a little extra during the final month or so, and many give feed then or grains and continue to do that while they are producing milk. As for the noble goat feed, you don't want to give them that free choice. @OneFineAcre or @Southern by choice @babsbag among many, can prob give better specifics. I'm sure there will be some differing opinions ;) While you wait, there's a wealth of Q&A here on the site: http://www.backyardherds.com/forums/feeding-time-goats.28/

They will need minerals; there are mineral blocks and loose (granules) and each have their spokespeople. When you buy them, try to get the kind specifically formulated for goats. If they say sheep and goats, there's a problem as goats need copper and sheep don't. You should also put out some free choice baking soda so if the goats get an upset rumen they can use it to lower acidity.

Since they are pregnant and just went through a move, they may be a little stressed, which can cause a parasite bloom (worms/cocci) so in the next few days to a week, watch them closely and you may want to have a fecal test done on them to see if there's any problem present or developing. Were they vaccinated and current from the seller? They'll both need a CD&T shot about a month before they are due. Then the kids will need a few innoculations after they're born, but you can study up on all that between now and then.

Great to have you here! Enjoy the site and your new goats!

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you very much!!! They were given their CD&T and Ivomec on Sunday. I'll have a fecal done today and will go get them baking soda and a mineral pail. I love them and don't want anything to happen to them. Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get loose minerals. Manna Pro makes one specifically for goats that is good and they have it at tractor supply.

How much of the Noble Goat are you giving?

Have you built some type of Hay feeder? Do you know what kind of hay it is?

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you :) I have not yet built a feeder...just have the bale of "second cutting" on the ground and they are happily eating it. However I know I have to build something to keep it off the ground. I am currently giving them a cup daily but it seems I should not be giving anything but the hay and water?! The man I got them from was giving noble goat so I wanted to keep it the same. But I don't want them to have a difficult time birthing.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you :) I have not yet built a feeder...just have the bale of "second cutting" on the ground and they are happily eating it. However I know I have to build something to keep it off the ground. I am currently giving them a cup daily but it seems I should not be giving anything but the hay and water?! The man I got them from was giving noble goat so I wanted to keep it the same. But I don't want them to have a difficult time birthing.
Short term you can get a laundry basket and flake it off into that. They will climb in it and someone will pee on it, but at least you don't waste that much.

With the whole bale they will start to climb on top of the bale and someone will think it's a great idea to pee on it an they they want eat it. I also make these out of Tupperware totes. Just take two short pieces of wood and screw across the bottom and it creates a base that keeps them from turning it over.
At feeder 4.jpg

A cup isn't too much. Some people do not feed any feed to their does. I do. Mine get about a cup per day.
How old are they and is this their first time having babies?

Second cutting of what? Is it like Orchard grass or something like that?

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Short term you can get a laundry basket and flake it off into that. They will climb in it and someone will pee on it, but at least you don't waste that much.

With the whole bale they will start to climb on top of the bale and someone will think it's a great idea to pee on it an they they want eat it. I also make these out of Tupperware totes. Just take two short pieces of wood and screw across the bottom and it creates a base that keeps them from turning it over.
View attachment 12670

A cup isn't too much. Some people do not feed any feed to their does. I do. Mine get about a cup per day.
How old are they and is this their first time having babies?

Second cutting of what? Is it like Orchard grass or something like that?
Thank

Dogma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I believe it's orchard grass. Ginger is 5 years old and Nutmeg is 1-2 years and is her daughter. Ginger usually has 2 babies and does well per previous owner and this is Nutmegs first time. I pray she does well. I have the hay outside their pen so they can only reach head through to get to it. It's not in with them. But I love your idea and have a tote I can use :)

Latest posts