Help!! New goat mommy in CT.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just got two female goats about 4 months old. I have them grazing and give them sweet feed as a small treat, to help tame them to come close to me. I give them baking soda and goat loose minerals at free choice, and of course fresh water. What should I be doing besides this?

Hay is the only thing I can think of.
x2 HAY!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you plan on milking them at some point down the road, you should/could be using the grain/treats to get them used to the stanchion and being handled all over. That will save a lot of grief when you actually do try to milk them. Since they are still young and growing, a good goat feed along with the hay would probably be beneficial. As they mature and get closer to full sized, you can adjust the quantity so they don't get fat. You should have a good quality hay available to them 24/7.

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you plan on milking them at some point down the road, you should/could be using the grain/treats to get them used to the stanchion and being handled all over. That will save a lot of grief when you actually do try to milk them. Since they are still young and growing, a good goat feed along with the hay would probably be beneficial. As they mature and get closer to full sized, you can adjust the quantity so they don't get fat. You should have a good quality hay available to them 24/7.
X2

MrsKuhn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You have gotten some awesome advice so I will just pop up in here and say Hello. :frow Beautiful goats

Latest posts