HELP New pig owner

Z's Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, I bought some piglets a few days ago and I need advice. We were planning on getting bigger pigs but the guy we bought them from said he had a new batch that was about 6 weeks old????? I am not sure how old they are but they are certainly growing. Whats the best feed for them and best tips. We are using grower feed from the local co-op and cracked corn and they are eating weeds and grass we throw in. We have planted some produce but it won't be ready for a while. We are not feeding them slop right now for fear of what to feed them. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You are on the right track. Grower feed from the local co-op should be nutritionally balanced for the most economical growth for these pigs. Supplementing with weeds, grass, scraps, etc. is fine for a treat, but make sure they get the majority of their feed from the stuff that's been proven over decades to be best. Good luck with your pigs!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I raised my pigs last year I bought the grower feed and supplemented with lots and lots of goat's milk. Then I started getting scraps from the school where I worked. Kids throw away the most amazing food, apples, PBJ sandwiches, granola bars, stew, burritos, chips, cheese, etc. Lots of juice and milk, also ice cream and pastries. The only thing off limit was chicken that might have bones. From my own house I never fed raw meat or eggs. Eggs I would hard boil and feed shell and all, they loved them. They did not like oranges. They loved plums and peaches. The last month I added a sweet 16% dairy feed, like wet COB.

Pigs were by far the easiest animal I have raised provided they have a good pen they can't dig under and escape. They are veracious diggers.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Feeding garbage can be a great source of feed for pigs, but it's illegal in many states to feed uncooked garbage. Trichinosis used to be able to be transmitted through uncooked garbage. Not much of a threat lately, but many states still ban feeding it.

Latest posts