Help! Nigerian Dwarf Doe has horrible Dandruff!

idnatalie11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
https://www.backyardchickens.com/
I

Help! New Nigerian Dwarf Doe has horrible dandruff​

Jump to newUnwatch
•••
Sort by date Sort by reaction score
I

idnatalie11

In the Brooder​

We recently got this 3yo Nigerian Dwarf Does sweet as can be but she looks terrible. Hair all frizzy and terrible dandruff. I've inspected her for lice and don't see any evidence (bugs, eggs in hair shaft, etc...) Not sure what food/minerals/foraging she's had in the past but she has all of that readily available now...just seems we have our work cut out for us. We de-wormed her with Safeguard and may repeat in another 2-3 weeks and I'm giving her a tablespoon of BOSS 2xday. She def looks like she has "fish tail" with copper deficiency so thinking I need to get when a copper bolus (?) Just don't know where else to go with this unhappy looking coat. Should I also try a medicated shampoo like Mane and Tail to soothe her itching-she rubs down the fence to scratch her sides? I do know she just finished weaning twins and she def needs some weight put back on her. Any firm suggestions / line of treatment ideas would be greatly appreciated! It's a bit overwhelming knowing where to start but I know with help I can nurse her back to good health! Thanks!
Screenshot_20210928-204616.png
Screenshot_20210928-204552.png
Screenshot_20210928-204609.png

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, she doesn't look skinny to me. She looks a good weight. I don't think you want her fatter than she is. But to know for sure you want to run your fingers along her spine. You DO want to be able to feel her spin and ribs. But just not clearly.

Here is a photo: Aim for number 3. But 2 is better than 4.

e2208dfdb1498ec2f88d844a8e1894c2.jpg

I would give the copper bolus and then wait.

I think the patchiness, and the flaking, and the itching, is all due to the low copper.

Of course it will take a little time for the copper to get all in her and fix everything.

So.... if she is very miserable with the itching, a soothing oatmeal shampoo definitely wouldn't hurt (as long as it isn't too cold where you are. You don't want her getting chilled)

A good loose mineral with copper in it will also be good for her. But she needs to bolus.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh... look at my mind! I was running around so much!

Any way... she just doesn't look that bad to me.

You have wormed her.

Is her FAMACHA score good?

FAMACHAR-anaemia-guide.png

If her eyelid or gums (i think checking the gum color is so much easier!) are good and pink, then I think you are fine with worms.

If you are worried you can do a fecal, or have a vet do a fecal.

Then, we have already discussed the copper, she clearly needs copper.

So, since she is low in copper, we can guess she might be low in other minerals too. Check to see if your area is low in selenium. If yes then either have your vet give her a selenium shot, OR you give her a shot with BoSe (which is selenium with vitamin E), OR start to give her selenium and vitamin E paste once a month.

Also put out a loose mineral for goats.

Since she is so low in minerals, I would spend the money to get a bit of powdered kelp for her, has a bunch of trace stuff. But that in a free feed holder next to the minerals, but maybe just a handful a day so she doesn't gorge in case for some reason she falls in love with it.

I know people argue about the need for it... but I also kept baking soda in a free feeder spot. Mine did eat it on occasion.

Then I would free feed her (from a feeder so she doesn't waste the hay) a good goat hay. Timothy or orchard grass is great. Let her eat as much of that as she wants.

Again.... she doesn't look skinny to me. :idunno

But then I am not there and can't feel her.

If she is in milk, then she can have grain/ milk goat pellets/ whatever on the milk stand.

If she is not in milk, and not pregnant, I would give her just a small handful of goat pellets every night. Very little.

The one hoof I can see looks good. But clearly make sure those are all good

I am pretty sure I have finally covered everything! :lol:

idnatalie11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is great! Thank you all who replied! She's really fluffy so it's hard to tell but her spine and ribs are definitely prominent -I'd say she's around a 2 on the Body Condition Score. Her FAMCHA is between a d4/c3 so a friend said I may need to re-worm her again in 2-3 weeks? I know there are super worms out there though so maybe I should just do the fecal test at the vet. I do have the Manna Pro loose minerals out for her and she's def been eating them along with baking soda. I've ordered the Ultra Cruz Copper Bolus (4g for adults) that I'll give her asap. I haven't heard of the selenium and vit E paste but I'll look into it and the shot options around here (piedmont, NC). I'm a little worried to shave her with the cooler weather were having now that I think about it but a good anti-fungal bath/soothing oatmeal def can't hurt! When I brush her she almost acted like her skin was "sensitive" - like she wasn't enjoying the brushing at all so it makes me think shes def irritated along with itchy. Her milk seems its still drying up as her udder still looks a little heavy to me and my 10 week old ND (unrelated) tried to nurse her yesterday (?) but she gets good hay and pellets in the evening along with vacuuming up the freshly fallen leaves haha. Seriously thankful for all this good info! I feel much better equipped getting this sort of confirmation! Blessings!!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
When i googled, it said North Carolina IS selenium deficient.

So, guessing she hasn't ever been given any, I would start her off with a selenium injection, either the BoSe shot that you can give her, or ask your vet to give her one.

If you aren't apposed to the vet cost, it would be nice to ask, given her history, what the best course is. Should she have the shot and then a month later start on the paste? Or the shot only. And then how often should she have the shot?

My area is also low in selenium, but I never had a neglected goat. The paste isn't as fully absorbed as the shot, but I greatly preferred the paste since it was so easy to administer. Since the paste isn't as well absorbed it is given once a month.

I wouldn't worry about her weight, it should come up naturally now that she is drying up. Being a 2 at the end of a lactation is normal-ish depending on how much milk she was producing.

Do keep an eye on her udder, make sure it doesn't get overfull, hot or get mastitis. It is important to dry off a goat slowly so all of that is avoided.

And no, I would NOT shave her. I am sure the skin issues will resolve as soon as she gets all of the minerals into her.

And yes, if she is that pale, I would worm her again. Maybe for the second worming use a wormer from a different class.

idnatalie11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info "Alaskan". I think I will get my vet to check her over. Being so new at this point I think it will give me peace of mind! Thanks so SO much!!