help on color

bucknercrestfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just found out my mare is pregnant and due in next few months i could strangle my hubby! My two year old colt got out and got put in with my mare because that pen was closer! any way i have no clue what color to exspect i wouldnt have cared but due to the parents rare coloring ive been thinking. sire is a palomino overo with splash gene my mare is a dilute red dun with zibra striping and primtive markings "peach dun" any clue what the foal may be? she had a colt in 2009 who is a grullo tobiano who also has stripes on his neck and legs

farmerlor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
bucknercrestfarm said:
Just found out my mare is pregnant and due in next few months i could strangle my hubby! My two year old colt got out and got put in with my mare because that pen was closer! any way i have no clue what color to exspect i wouldnt have cared but due to the parents rare coloring ive been thinking. sire is a palomino overo with splash gene my mare is a dilute red dun with zibra striping and primtive markings "peach dun" any clue what the foal may be? she had a colt in 2009 who is a grullo tobiano who also has stripes on his neck and legs
IN theory the dun should be recessive but may "wash" the palomino. I'd almost expect to see another peachy palomino out of this pairing but you'd almost have to go back a few generations to see and look at what dominant color combinations you're warring with.
My little black and white leopard appy was born of a sorrel paint and a bay blanket app. We had to go back nine generations to find a leopard app to figure out where her coloring came from.

pawtraitart

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is your mare a paint or solid? According to the coat color calculator, this is what you will get if she's a solid.

6.25% -Palomino (solid)
6.25% -Chestnut Splash
6.25% -Chestnut Tobiano
6.25% -Chestnut Tovero
6.25% -Dunalino (solid)
6.25% -Dunalino Splash
6.25% -Chestnut (solid)
6.25% -Dunalino Tovero
6.25% -Red Dun Tovero
6.25% -Palomino Splash
6.25% -Palomino Tobiano
6.25% -Palomino Tovero
6.25% -Red Dun (solid)
6.25% -Red Dun Splash
6.25% -Red Dun Tobiano
6.25% -Dunalino Tobiano

These calculations are based on both the splash and the dun gene being heterozygous. If one or the other is homozygous, then you get a different result. I don't know how accurate it is for the splash gene as I'm more familiar with tobiano.

oneforthemoney

Just born
Reaction score
bucknercrestfarm said:
SIRE:
Palomino = Two red genes, one creme gene.
Overo Spash = depends but we'll say there's only one of these.

From this you will get a red horse who has a 50% chance of being a palomino and a 50% chance of carrying a paint gene (carrying a paint gene and expressing that paint gene are two very different things).

DAM:
dilute red dun = not sure what you mean by dilute. Typically dilute refers to creme (??). Pretending you're talking about true dilute (creme) then this combination makes the mare a dunalino (palomino/dun). Either way, your mare has two red genes, at least one dun gene, and possible one creme gene. What color is her mane and tail?
tobiano baby = was she bred to a tobiano? Does she have tobiano in her immediate lineage?

From this mare you will get a red horse who has a 50% chance of being a dun, and possibly 50% chance of being a palomino. Also is thrown in there the possibility of carrying (remember, not necessarily expressing) tobiano.

SO... from this pairing the only thing that is certain is that it will be a red-based horse. IE, sorrel, chestnut, red dun, palomino, cremello. ((oops... forgot dunalino, not sure what double dilute dun is called... dunamello???? <lolol>))
There is also the distinct possibility that you'll get some paint expression, although painted sorrel is, imo, a prettier contrast than a painted palomino.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry majorly late (has this little one been born yet?), but there is no chance of tobiano (or tovero), if neither parent is tobaino, it can't be passed to a foal.

That said, the foal will definately be red based, 50% chance of getting dun, 50% chance of getting cream, so either palomino, palomino dun (dunalino), sorrel/chestnut, or red dun, w/ a 50% chance of being overo (frame I'm assuming? or just splash?). Will be cute I'm sure, duns are my favorite!

Latest posts