Help! Piglet Itchy,Sick. Runt

EmilyPelkey21

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Someone I know how has a young piglet that was a runt. Not sure on the breed but its a large one and she only weighs 13 lbs! Shes indoors, and im pretty sure she has Mange. I know how to administer Injections in goats and rabbits. BUT, not sure with pigs. She also has Diarrhea and im pretty sure she is Dehydrated. Any tips and where do I administer the needle? Some things online said behind the ear? Like I said im more into knowing about goats and rabbits and have always done my own shots and ect. Im trying to get her to let me take her home so I can do what I have to do cause she cant do shots for her or anything. Shes indoors because the other two she got are way to pig and try to kill her. Where im at its very cold atm and im afraid she wont make it two days outside. Please Some Imput!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
First, Greetings Emily, welcome to BYH. I'll tag a few folks who may be able to help, but I don't think that you've really provided enough info... It seems a little scattered... You say it was a runt but it's large, but it only weighs 13 pounds. Do you know what breed the pig is and what age? You say you're pretty sure it has mange and that it has diarrhea and you're asking about giving it shots... What are the shots for? Do you have pictures of the mange that you can share so folks can see what you're talking about?

@Ferguson K @Pamela @secuono @Mini Horses @jk47

Hope you get the situation worked out.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think she means it's a large breed...not necessarily that the piglet is large... maybe?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
09-005f1.JPG

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We treat our pigs for things like mange through an edible dewormer. Diarrhea is also a sign of worms. My piglets, Berkshire, were probably 20lbs at 8 weeks old but I did have one that was only about 10lbs. She was bullied in the litter and as soon as we got her feeding on her own, away from the others she flourished and was the same size in no time. We find our runts are not runts at birth, they are runts due to the lack of food they are getting from the fight to get to mom.

If it were me I would call the local vet and ask what kind of antibiotic would be safe to give to this piglet. I would treat it with a dewormer, an antibiotic if recommended by the vet and would ensure it is eating and drinking. The term "eating like a pig" didn't come from no where....if it isn't eating like a pig I would be concerned. Although, do keep in mind that not all pigs like to eat things that pigs are known to like. If it refuses one food item, try another. I have never met a pig that didn't like to eat bread...I would start there.

I agree...I would keep it away from the others, especially during feedings and I would ensure it is warm. I left my piglets in the barn during the winter until they were about 3 months old.

That would be my advice. Good luck.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would hook up a heat lamp up for it
And start by mixing up a electrolyte solution and mixing it with feed to make a wet mash then giving the pig that. To hydrate and feed at same time. Did the pig get its iron shot or have access to iron in ground
I would also give a shot of ivermic wormer if you see worms in the scours if not I woukd give ssomething like scour stop to stop the scouring. Depending on what thepig looks like or is acting it may need aantibiotic
It would be helpful if we could see a picture of the pig

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd give her 1/4 CC of Ivomec, SQ behind the neck. That will control most worms, mange and lice. I'd also give the other pigs a shot of Ivomec, because if one has any of the aforementioned parasites, they all do. This will also help to stop reinfestation. I'd also get a well-balanced pig starter and feed that till she's big enough to switch to grower. Retreat with the Ivomec as needed. Good luck!