Help Please! (beware-gross pic)

moonix

Just born
Reaction score
I've had goats for a year now, and I just brought home a nigerian dwarf doe and just noticed she has an abscess on the front of her shoulder. I did some reading and I prepped an area in the garage and lanced it open. It came out super thick and cheesy white. I suspect CL because of the location and want to get it tested, but not sure what the proper procedure is or where/how to send it. I live in the middle of nowhere in Northern Wisconsin. I notified the seller and she had no knowledge of an abscess on the doe. There is a more firm spot toward the top of the abscess, not sure if it is scar tissue or something anatomical? She also has a scar on her cheek, so wondering if it's from injury or another abscess. She is ADGA registered, so not sure if that makes any difference. My small herd is also registered. Any advice is welcome. I am so frustrated and upset. 55810924_385446748960619_3735093977976668160_n.jpg 55719338_805587086472728_1286619953880891392_n.jpg

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not a goat person but CL is CL. That cottage cheese texture is textbook CL but don't panic. My ram had a cyst that was exactly like that that and turned out to be nothing and even possibly a puncture of some kind. That looks like what we got out of our ram but there is no way to know without testing. Keep the sample you have sealed in a zip lock or something and take it to your vet for processing.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not sure if there is a lab near you, probably is. I can take it to my vet and they can send it or I can do it myself. But...this is in WA.
https://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/animal-disease-faq/caseous-lymphadenitis

I have had some that sure looked like CL and it wasn't. Keep the pus in the refrigerator and they would like it sterile, in a red top tube if you have one.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is definitely in a questionable area and if there is an old scar on the face it is even more suspect.
Definitely have it cultured.
Did you ask for testing documentation before buying?

moonix

Just born
Reaction score
I talked to a local vet who sees livestock and we have an appointment for tomorrow. Thank you all for your replies

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Of coarse I'd take every precaution and isolate and test.

OTOH, that also looks like it could be the site of a vaccine abscess/cyst. I also write down where I give vaccines as we've had one or two small cysts ones pop up after a vaccine and once after a cut near the tail. You might ask the breeder where they give vaccines and when was the last time your goat was vaccinated. A couple weeks seems to be when we see them.

Latest posts