Help. Pregnant doe temporarily unresponsive

Anirtj

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Help. My husband said our very likely pregnant doe was lying curled in the sun & was unresponsive. He got her up now she is moving & eating grass. Any ideas why?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're referring to rabbits...? If not, ignore the following:
She could have simply been sleeping. Some rabbits enjoy playing the "I'm dead" game to freak out their owners. I've also had rabbits sleeping sprawled out in full sun on a hot day o_O
Some have taken it so far that they won't even move when nudged! As long as she's moving around, eating, and is having normal bowel movements, I wouldn't worry about it :)

Anirtj

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No, a goat. Sorry should have been specific. :)

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
No problem :) It was the 'curled in the sun' part that made me think it must be a bun, since I have a hard time picturing a goat curled like a bun does!
How old is the doe? How far into the pregnancy? What's the weather like in your area? How is she doing now?

Anirtj

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is three & she had twins in 2012 (before we got her). She should be due around 8/3. She is walking around grazing with the other 2. Gave her some sweet feed. She seems fine. Moves away if I touch her right side. That's new.

Last edited:

Anirtj

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh its 83° today. They have shade.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like she's uncomfortable anyway. I would keep a close eye on her - make sure her rumen is working, she's having normal goat berries and peeing, drinking and eating regularly etc.

Anirtj

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Saw her peeing & pooping yesterday. Looked ok. She's not wide at all. Her belly hangs down lower.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
The kid(s) could be moving around making her uncomfortable. If she's due in just a few weeks, that would be pretty typical :)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The kid(s) could be moving around making her uncomfortable. If she's due in just a few weeks, that would be pretty typical :)

x 2.

But, I've had some goats sleeping so soundly before that I had to check to make sure they were still alive. :)