Help! Rabbit with possible ear infection

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
The mineral oil that you do a few drops...are you putting it in straight or mixing it with water or other things in a solution first? (And if so what ratios?)

And also...

If you do cull a rabbit with ear infections, are they still safe to eat?

Just the straight oil. Yes, the meat is fine, unless you eat the ears, flesh n all. Oil isn't a drug & an ear infection or ear mites don't spread to the rest of the body's muscles.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just the straight oil. Yes, the meat is fine, unless you eat the ears, flesh n all. Oil isn't a drug & an ear infection or ear mites don't spread to the rest of the body's muscles.

Thank you for your help.

I wonder if the ear treatment thing would be more effective with a tiny (really small amount) of hydrogen peroxide mixed in? Or is that bad?

I like that you kept it simple, but just thought I'd ask. And I'm not suggesting anything, but just asking because I'd heard of people doing this with human ears. (Yeah its not the same thing.)

Just dialoguing as the student here putting a hand up in class.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

I wonder if the ear treatment thing would be more effective with a tiny (really small amount) of hydrogen peroxide mixed in? Or is that bad?

I like that you kept it simple, but just thought I'd ask. And I'm not suggesting anything, but just asking because I'd heard of people doing this with human ears. (Yeah its not the same thing.)

Just dialoguing as the student here putting a hand up in class.

Never tried mixing it with anything else, so idk. The oil drowns them.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We use Ivermectin horse wormer (apple flavored gel) to get rid of ear mites and wool mites. Just a dab about the size of a split pea in the ear is enough to get rid of mites. The oil would also work, but needs more than one application, doesn't it? The Ivermectin is a 'just once' sort of thing and we have a lot of .

We've used PenG several years ago for Vent disease. That got that in the herd several years ago when fostering someone else's orphan kit. That really brought home the lesson of herd bio-security.

I've heard Panacur is good for wry neck? But we've never used it.

I think the first thing is to determine what's precisely wrong with the bunny so the best avenue of treatment will be clear. Oil will fix ear mites, but maybe not a bacterial infection. PenG will fix a bacterial infection but not ear mites. If it's a virus infection, I haven't a clue how to fix that. Although, of course, there could also be more than one thing wrong.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you not use hydrogen peroxide for rabbit ear mite problems?

Just wanted to ask.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With peroxide you’d be introducing more moisture, which was most likely the culprit in the first place. Water gets in the ear, floppy ears don’t get air in them well, moisture sits...ear infection.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a rabbit (pet) that lived with wry neck her whole life. Sometimes it got a little better, sometimes it was a bit worse. If the rabbit isn’t in pain then you can try a range of different things.

Latest posts