Help! Rabbit with possible ear infection

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My four month old Holland Lop doe seems to have inner ear infection. Head tilted, ear up, some balance issues. Vet put her on Baytril, 2x per day orally for a week. It doesn't seem to have done much. And of course, it has to be my special tort vm doe with blue eyes....
I had another doe do this a while back with same symptoms and vet put her on Baytril as well and it cleared up. Thinking she may need something stronger? She is still eating and drinking fine, eyes and nose clear, acts fine, can't see anything in her ear. Any suggestions?

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give an update for anyone who may have the same problem later..
I have put her on .25cc of penicillin G every day and she seems to be improving. She'll probably have to be on for two weeks. She weights 3.2 lbs.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My four month old Holland Lop doe seems to have inner ear infection. Head tilted, ear up, some balance issues. Vet put her on Baytril, 2x per day orally for a week. It doesn't seem to have done much. And of course, it has to be my special tort vm doe with blue eyes....
I had another doe do this a while back with same symptoms and vet put her on Baytril as well and it cleared up. Thinking she may need something stronger? She is still eating and drinking fine, eyes and nose clear, acts fine, can't see anything in her ear. Any suggestions?
A case of an inner ear infection in a dwarf rabbit has been successfully treated with ciprofloxacin. Combined antibiotic therapies such as enrofloxacin/chloramphenicol, or marbofloxacin/penicillin can be administered.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A few droplets, gently massage. I think I did it 2x a week, 2nd week there'd be improvement.

The mineral oil that you do a few drops...are you putting it in straight or mixing it with water or other things in a solution first? (And if so what ratios?)

And also...

If you do cull a rabbit with ear infections, are they still safe to eat?