Help... sick boar, won't get up

redtailgal

Reaction score
Don't put salt in a pig's water........salty water will dehydrate him faster (this is why we cant drink ocean water.....it DEhydrates)

Pigs also dont process sodium well at all, and even a little extra salt will stress his kidney's further.

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Don't put salt in a pig's water........salty water will dehydrate him faster (this is why we cant drink ocean water.....it DEhydrates)

Pigs also dont process sodium well at all, and even a little extra salt will stress his kidney's further.
yes I agree... molasses or apple cider vinegar yes.. salt never, you go into salt water with a cut and it dries out and heals very well, also why we gargle with it when we have canker sores or a soar throat.

With the exception of him looking a bit sunken still he is up and doing very well.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Glad to hear that he is up. It takes a pig a little longer to recover from dehydration, I've always found. Sick pigs are some of the most pitiful creatures I've ever seen. They just break your heart.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I hope Boris is doing better. When my little boar, Bugsy, was acting that way last year, I was sick with worry. I gave him a couple shots of penicillin and he was better in just a couple of days. Have no idea what was wrong----kind of like your situation. That's the scary part---if we knew what was exactly wrong, it would be a breeze to treat. So glad that vet was willing to help with the oral antibiotics. Waiting for another update.........

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Boris is just fine now... gave him a 6 day round of penicillan, Thursday was his last day... he ripped the syringe out of my hand, he had had enough! I just squirted that on his food...

Boris will be a dad for the second time at the end of the month.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm so glad to hear that! You'll have to post picks of Boris and also of his babies when they arrive. I know a lot of people think, "What's the big deal? It's just a pig." But I love my pigs-----they are so smart and my boar is especially affectionate and has personality.

Latest posts