Help! Sick week old doeling **vet update**

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My one week old doeling is not doing so well today. She's had a goopy eye for a day or two and I've been cleaning it and applying Vetericyn. It's not getting any better. Her lashes are outside so I don't think her lid is turned in. Her actual eye itself seems clouded over like she could be blind :( It looked like that at birth birth but cleared up the next day. Now it's back that way.

She's always been a bit behind her sister, not as active but always nursing well.

Today she is listless. Not getting up or moving around much. I have a thermometer but it looks way too big for her little bottom!

Yesterday she was outside some with her mom n sister and her mother just left her laying there crying while she took the sis out browsing around. I've felt like something hasn't been right with her from the start :(

Any advice? Call a vet?

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our little one had pneumonia and her eyes got all goopy and cloudy.

Have you tried giving her Vitamin B to perk her up?

Is she nursing?

When ours got pushed away from mom and got cold at three days old, we pulled her and tube fed until she figured out the bottle.

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Don't think I have any vitamin B :( I do have pen G, wonder if I should give her a round of that. She only weighs 2lbs.

She was nursing good last night.

Edited to add she definitely wants nothing to do with a bottle.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm always pretty quick to call a vet - but then I'm a worry wart by nature.

If she's nursing that is a great sign. When our little one went down I gave her Vitamin B gel to perk her up, then the vet gave her a B injection.

The vet also gave her BoSe in case of low Copper or Selenium.

Her temp was really low, so we kept a heat pack in her bed with her to lay on.

As far as the eye goes, the vet would be able to tell you if her sight is impaired. Ironically our doe was born with a small cateract on one eye.

Good luck to you.

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! We're on our way to the vet.

She's only 2 pounds so I'm pretty nervous about treating her myself.

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well her eye is severely ulcerated from some type of injury it looks like :(

The vet feels that her listlessness is due to pain from the ulcer. No sign of infection, her lungs are clear and besides the eye and being very small she looks just fine.

The prognosis for the eye isn't great, eyes apparently are tough to heal. If it does heal she may not be able to see and if it continues to cause discomfort the vet would prefer to take it out. :hit

She did reassure me that many animals lead normal healthy lives with partial blindness. If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear about it!

Now my next decision is should I let Pippy stay with mom and sister or should I pull her where I have more control of her environment... :hu

Thanks for the good thoughts!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So far, no experience with livestock and partial blindness, but we did have dog growing up who lost an eye as a puppy. Was a pekenese and his eye got scratched by a litter mate.

He lived a very long happy life.

We dam raise all of our kids, but in this case I would pull her and bottle raise her.

May take a little work to get her to take the bottle, but you can.

Poor baby.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
:( Gosh, that stinks. So sorry. :hugs I do know there are people who have had blind goats so hopefully someone will pipe in.