Help Troubleshooting Sickness/Disease

rrspyder

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I am experiencing an issue and hoping for some help in isolating the cause. With some of our rabbits I am having an issue where they act fine, but they become unable to what seems to be operate their mouth to eat. They go to the food like they want to eat but end up only able to sniff or push it around and they end up just staring at it and eventually hopping off. Have tried mixing up a smoothie style slurry for them and they are able to stick their face in and drink it up some. When they experience this issue it seems to be roughly around all the same age of 6-9 months and they have so far only been males that experience this issue. Have tried providing antibiotics and don't see any obvious signs of ear mites or anything, nothing so far has helped. I am wondering if this is some type of genetic disease? Just trying to narrow down what exactly it maybe and if its preventable or not.

Appreciate any help/insight you can provide.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you checked their teeth? If their bite isn't correct they will have a hard time eating. Are these rabbits all related? If yes, could point to genetic issue.