HELP!!! URGENT & QUICK!!! Read update post #20 - PLEASE!

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Long story made short:

I have posted some of this story here on this forum back in Oct/Nov, but just in case you don't want to go searching for it all: We upgraded the living conditions of a miserably neglected Nubian goat. Vet aged her as 2-3 years old. We had her vaccinated (for 3 things which I can't remember, but the vet recommended them)...and slowly started feeding her.

She is steadily gaining weight and is doing really well. We love her so much!

Two bits of bad news:
1. She is CAE positive.
2. She was bred by the original idiot owner (who I found out, KNEW she was sick!). He reports she was bred in mid to late August.

The vet thinks she's probably pregnant (says they rarely have fertility probs - GREAT!!!)...and now - she's really looking a lot pregnant...this last couple of weeks, her sides have really popped out (I'll take new pics tomorrow)...and I believe I see changes in her udder. Again...GREAT!

It seems likely that I will be bottle feeding babies - as if they nurse they are likely to get CAE from her.

I am getting ready to order udder tape (so the babies cannot nurse from her in case I'm not there) and other supplies I think I'll need...but my most important question is

How much of this do I need to order:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=cebda908-2166-4d76-998d-c343340185e5#tabs

Fiasco farms website (and my vet) both recommend it, but I don't know how much to order/administrate...and just in case - I need to order enough for two kids.

Lord have mercy! Give me strength and wisdom...I have NO idea what I'm doing!

I've had horses my whole life. Dogs. Saltwater aquariums. Cats. Toucan. LOTS of high-maintanance animals...but I have never had ANY pregnant animal - and never had to hand feed babies.

...and I've NEVER had a goat. They are different than anything I've ever had, and nothing in my repetoire of experience has prepared me for this! But we love her, and she has a home for life as long as she is comfortable!

PLEASE help - I appreciate everything!

Do these feeders work? http://www.hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=4241&cat=14&page=1

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
It's going to be OK!

Just use regular old human baby bottles - I prefer Evenflo - with the nipple cut open in an X shape.

Can you find goat colostrum around you? I always keep some in the freezer (CAE/Johnes etc negative of course) for fellow breeders who might need it...

If not, use your doe's colostrum, just pasteurize it first (instructions can be found online).

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
helmstead said:
It's going to be OK!

Just use regular old human baby bottles - I prefer Evenflo - with the nipple cut open in an X shape.

Can you find goat colostrum around you? I always keep some in the freezer (CAE/Johnes etc negative of course) for fellow breeders who might need it...

If not, use your doe's colostrum, just pasteurize it first (instructions can be found online).
OK....Full disclosure. I have NO idea how to milk a goat. NONE. And no real help! No one to teach me anything - I'm I work 45 hours a week at my "day job" then come home to our barn (3 horses, 30 chickens, 5 cats - you know the cast of characters!)

I looked on Craig's list to see if anyone had any for sale...but didn't find anything, so I thought the purchased stuff might work.

If I can find/purchase some frozen colostrum, how much should I buy? How much to feed at each of the first feedings??

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
You're going to have to call other dairy breeders to find the colostrum - even cow dairies. I've never been in the position to need the purchased supplement, perhaps someone else will be here eventually to advise you.

I would look for at least 30 oz. You want the first 24 hrs of feedings to be colostrum if possible...and you can expect to get about 2 oz in at a time every 2-4 hrs (boy I hope you can get time off work!)...

My husband and I are self taught milkers...you can do this! It's not hard, really, just makes your forearms sore at first LOL

Man I wish there was a simpler answer...if she wasn't too far along, I'd even recommend to lute her and be done with it, but this far in that's...um...yeah...

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! This is helpful! I will be taking a couple of days off from work - after that, our schedule is this:

I'll feed at 6am and again at 9am before work...
My neighbor agreed to do noon feedings (kids at school).
Husband is home at 3pm (teacher)
I'm home at 6pm and am up til about 11pm

Our plan is to bring the goats home into our garage (our barn is a couple of miles away) and set up a small, temp stall with a heat lamp (if needed) so that we all can check on them frequently.

I agree...we wish we had been able to terminate the pregnancy. We did discuss this with the vet, but she (back in Oct.) felt that without knowing her breeding dates, that she may have been too far along and at risk for hemoraging.

I also had initially thought I'd let her raise them and take our chances with the CAE....but I just can't knowingly inflict this on babies - especially when Gabby doesn't feel good, it's really sad.

I just posted a "wanted" ad on Craig's list - I'll keep you posted. Thank you!!!!!

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just posted an ad on our local Craig's List to see if anyone has any goat colostrum to sell....I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for your help and interest!!

PS I have absolutely NO idea how to milk a goat....and though Gabby is VERY friendly and affectionate, she is not tolerant of her udder being handled! And, BOY! She is strong now that she's not starving!!!

This is her udder last month...I'll post an updated photo tomorrow - and she has put on a LOT of weight since last month!
DSC_0128Medium.jpg

DSC_0138Medium.jpg

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yeah even my seasoned milkers don't want their udders touched until they're fresh - then the want RELIEF! Sometimes you DO need a helper for the first few times, then they quit kicking and settle into being milked. REALLY it's not hard!

Your state SHOULD have a dairy goat assoc....try there, too!

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, Kate! You've been a great help! I will look them up in the am and call them on Monday.

HEY!!! There are mini nubians???? ...off to look at your website!

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have my vet on the "look out" for another CAE positive goat (no billies!) to be company for Gabby....

...just so you don't think I'd expose any other goat to this disease!

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OK.....Java Latte's little one is GORGEOUS!!!!