HELP!!! URGENT & QUICK!!! Read update post #20 - PLEASE!

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
helmstead said:
:D Thanks, I think they're both adorable, but that darker one...:love
I have to say....I'd be tempted if I didn't have CAE at my place! That baby wants to be kissed right on its head!!!! That darker one IS the one I like too!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Gosh...so sorry you have CAE! Surely you can find someone who has a positive herd or something to get your girl a friend...

Thanks, again! I love my goaties...

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
For what it's worth...
I've never fed a kid more than 3-4 times in 24 hours....ever.

I feed 'em colostrum when they're born, again 6-7 hrs later, then again in another 6-7 hrs....then they're fed milk at 7am, 2 pm, and 9 pm.

I'm not advocating *my way*, just saying that it won't be the end of the world if you miss a feeding or need to adjust your schedule. Every 3-4 hours would have been impossible for me, since I worked 8 hr shifts when I started w/ goats, and we bottle raise all our kids.

Another suggestion for when they're eating more than an 8 oz bottle, jeffers has nipples that fit on pop bottles that I love. They pop on real easy and last. I think they're called "Caprine nipples"....

Where are you located? (Wondering if I could overnight you some colostrum if you're not too far...)

Good luck!

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Gosh...so sorry you have CAE! Surely you can find someone who has a positive herd or something to get your girl a friend...

Thanks, again! I love my goaties...
Thanks, again, so much! I do have my vet on the look-out for a positive companion (hoping for a polled wether!).

I will keep you posted and hug thoses babies for me!

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
For what it's worth...
I've never fed a kid more than 3-4 times in 24 hours....ever.

I feed 'em colostrum when they're born, again 6-7 hrs later, then again in another 6-7 hrs....then they're fed milk at 7am, 2 pm, and 9 pm.

I'm not advocating *my way*, just saying that it won't be the end of the world if you miss a feeding or need to adjust your schedule. Every 3-4 hours would have been impossible for me, since I worked 8 hr shifts when I started w/ goats, and we bottle raise all our kids.

Another suggestion for when they're eating more than an 8 oz bottle, jeffers has nipples that fit on pop bottles that I love. They pop on real easy and last. I think they're called "Caprine nipples"....

Where are you located? (Wondering if I could overnight you some colostrum if you're not too far...)

Good luck!
I'm glad to hear you say this. My vet said feeding every 8 hours would be adequate...and it's the best many can do. I'm still planning on taking off two days (and hoping they fall around a weekend so I'll have four days) and taking my neighbor up on her offer to help.

I'm located in Tampa, Fl. I posted on Craig's list for colostrum last night - no responses, yet - but of course it's Xmas. If I don't come up with some around here - I am glad to pay for and cover shipping for whatever you think I need.

I'll check out Jeffers - I love that catalog.

Thanks - both of you - you've been GREAT!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Kelly G said:
I'm still planning on taking off two days (and hoping they fall around a weekend so I'll have four days) and taking my neighbor up on her offer to help.
I think you just guaranteed a Tuesday kidding...:lol:

fadetopurple

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Milking is actually pretty easy (well, the motion itself... not the part about getting the goat to stand still).
If you just squeeze the teat, the milk will flow back up into the udder instead of coming out. You need to "close" the teat at the top by clenching your thumb & forefinger around it, and then squeeze with the rest of your hand. Then, of course, release to let more milk in, squeeze again, etc. You can practice on your thumb.

Hope that helps. There might be better guides somewhere else online, or maybe you already looked one up.

Best of luck! I'm sure everything will be fine.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I learned to milk through instructions on www.fiascofarm.com. She suggests using a rubber glove to get the feel of it. You will want to strengthen your hands in advance, though. They give a LOT of milk shortly after they begin lactating.

As a massage therapist and instructor, my hands were already very strong. The best way to strengthen your grip is NOT with one of those squeezy things, it is via simple curls with dumbells, the type to strengthen your forearms. Much of the muscle that moves your fingers is in your forearm. Strengthening these muscles will strengthen your hands.

Putting the joints through a complete (or close to complete) range of motion is more effective in strengthening (using weights in a controlled movement, correct movement, and the amount of weight that challenges you but you do not move in a jerky way or shake when doing the movements) than isometric contractions, which are what you do with squeezy things sold for hand strengthening. Isometric (iso=same and metric=length) exercise has little to no movement. Milking requires movement.

Here is an example: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/WristFlexors/DBWristCurl.html

Do this with the hand facing up and again with the hand facing down. The weight in the link is MUCH too big for most women, so gals, start with maybe five pounds and work up to ten if you are rather strong and big-boned.

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was out feeding the horses tonight - and this is what I saw (I didn't even notice until I came home and started editing the pics...and she is NOT in heat, but acting a little odd (pressing her head against wall, hanging around in stall). What is this discharge????!!!

DSC_0037Medium.jpg

I don't see much udder development, but I have noticed it has grown over the last few days - but not a TON. As best we know she was bred in August...but the man was not really sure (we purchased her in order to "upgrade" her living conditions - so we did NOT breed her! Here is picture of her from October when we bought her:
Photo0089.jpg

Here are MORE pictures from tonight....PLEASE help!!!
DSC_0021Medium.jpg

DSC_0027Medium.jpg

DSC_0035Medium.jpg

DSC_0034Medium.jpg

It is VERY important we catch her before she kids - she has CAE and we are going to have to bottle raise the babies. I have the info to pasturize the milk.