HELP!!! URGENT & QUICK!!! Read update post #20 - PLEASE!

jenjscott

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OK, the discharge is ok, its normal. It looks clear, should not be green or foul smelling. I would expect more udder development if she were birthing tonight, but that's no guarantee. Its been a long time since I had goats, so I don't remember how long before birth this happens, but it certainly is getting closer, especially with the behavioral changes.

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! We're going back to check on her in just a few minutes.

Over the last two weeks (or so) I have seen movement in the area in front of her hind legs but behind her barrel. Does this indicate anything?

Can you use a stethescope to listen for a hearbeat? Where do you listen?

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would say you have plenty of time, she doesn't appear to have dropped. Feel her tail head for her ligaments. Right on both sides of her tail head will be two ligs. that feel like pencils. If you can feel them then labor isn't anytime soon. If you don't feel them then labor within 24 hrs.

Here is a good site for labor signs:

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
That movement could just be her rumen. The left side is the 'baby' side, the right side is the rumen side.

I've had does leak anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 days before kidding. Can you grasp her tail head and feel if it's 'softening'...?
When you can nearly get your hand all the way around her tail base, you'll know she's getting closer.

I'm guessing her udder won't be as big as it would on a 'healthy' goat, considering the horrible conditions she was in before...so going by that alone may not be much help.

You can also see contractions when the time's close. It's sometimes hard to tell a real contraction from them just shifting their weight, but once the really productive ones start, they're hard to miss. Anywhere from 1-6 hrs from when they start, you know kids are coming.

A THICK (thumb sized) rope of goo coming out is a great indicator, too.

I've never listened w/ a stethoscope...can't help you there, sorry.
Good luck!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Really, that looks like discharge associated with heat to me. I don't think she's bred. I'd have her to the vet for an ultrasound/radiograph so you can chill a bit.

Her udder is nonexistant...even emaciated goats will eat their own reserves to put on an udder.

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Really, that looks like discharge associated with heat to me. I don't think she's bred. I'd have her to the vet for an ultrasound/radiograph so you can chill a bit.

Her udder is nonexistant...even emaciated goats will eat their own reserves to put on an udder.
Monday seems like forever...and you're right - I'm so worried...such a big responsiblity...it would be good to chill.

I sure wish you lived closer :)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
If you're looking at the goat head-on, it'd be your left that the babies are on....just one of those perspective things, depends on which end you're facing.

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Alright...I got video today. If you have a second will you please take a look at it and tell me what you think.

She is restless today, but still no udder and no additional discharge.