Help!!! Urgent!!!

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can eat well and still be malnourished--if a parasite is helping itself to your vitamins and minerals. Poor little guy. :(

Okay, that's over. You can't bring him back, but you can stop further losses. Don't beat yourself up, just learn from this and move on. Your report said barber pole and cocci, so that is what you need to treat for. Do your best for all the ones you have left. Unfortunately, sometimes we all learn lessons the hard way. In the long run, this should make you a better farmer. :)

Last edited:

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They said he no longer has barber pole worms and when I first wormed him it worked, I went ahead last Friday and rewormed everybody with a different wormer and I've been keeping sulmet in the waters and giving them some orally.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
He became malnourished from the cocci; it scars the intestines so that they can't absorb nutrients. That is why prevention is so much better than treatment, the damage can be done before you know they even have it and it can stunt their growth even if it doesn't kill them.

So now you know that the wormer was working if there was no current infestation but you need to treat for cocci. You can either get a fecal on each goat or (nobody look at this except the OP) you can treat the entire herd. I understand the cost sometimes of doing all the testing.

I have never lost a kid to cocci but I am horrid at doing the prevention. I usually treat when I see it which is the wrong way to do it. I also lost a kid to selenium deficiency so sometimes stuff happens; sometimes it is the way we learn...as painful as it is. :hugs

Your vet should have seen cocci...

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:weeeI keep Minerals and baking soda down for all my goats, but the bad thing with goats is when they get sick they die quick :(.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sulmet in the water might work, but you don't know for sure how much they are getting. I would give them the oral dose too, like you are doing.

I found this on anther site.

Sulfamethazine sodium
Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5%

Give Orally - Administer straight (no need to mix with any other liquids) into the mouth using a syringe (remove the needle). Do not just add it to the kid's water because you will not know if he receives the correct dose. Do not add it to his milk because the milk effects the potency of the drug.
Five day treatment- you must treat the full five days.
Day one: 1 ml per 5 pounds- given orally.
Days 2-5: 1 ml per 10 pounds- given orally

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hope my buck breed my two does I had with him :fl hoping for a doeling, he had amazing bloodlines plus he was the sweetest and was a great looking buck.

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So far no one else has gotten sick there three with pale eyelids, they will get wormed again Monday. Other then that I think everything is under control. Now I just have to put some weight back on two of them. They don't look like there skinny, I just can feel the hip bones a little too much for my liking.