Help! Vet's Out til Mon - What am I dealing with?!? (VET UPDATE pg8)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
2607_img00602-20110225-1319.jpg

This is the outer area of my 4 month old buckling's penis. I noticed that he hunched his back up and something seemed wrong and decided to have a look and this is what I saw.

Please :fl tell me I'm not dealing with UC here.

The area was wet like he'd gone pee. It's crusty and yellow. And he definitely is swollen on the outer part. I felt along the "vein" and couldn't feel any obstructions.

He's still his usual lively self. Lovable and wanting to be held. Doesn't appear to be in general pain. This is the first time I've noticed this. My DH and I spend a lot of time with Snickers (he's a favorite) so I think that we've caught it right away...whatever it is.

1. What is wrong?
2. What should I do?

Thank you in advance!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
To rule out UC, you need to see him pee. Unfortunately, that does look like a swollen, wet sheath - which would be one of the indicators.

Otherwise, I don't know? I'd apply some baby butt cream to it for now...and keep an eye to see how he's urinating.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
helmstead said:
To rule out UC, you need to see him pee. Unfortunately, that does look like a swollen, wet sheath - which would be one of the indicators.

Otherwise, I don't know? I'd apply some baby butt cream to it for now...and keep an eye to see how he's urinating.
Ok. What's the purpose behind the baby butt cream?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, I think it is UC. But the early stages, you will have time to talk to your vet. It takes a few days to a couple weeks to get really bad.
I would get him off grain, put him on grass hay only, and add Apple cider vinegar to his water, until you can talk to vet, but make sure he doesn't go off water. give him a salt block to encourage him to drink.

There are some treatment recommendations on this website.

http://uvalde.tamu.edu/staff/Machen7.htm

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ok, I'll do what you guys suggest till I can get him to the vets on Monday morning...in case it's UC

What about an infection? Could it be an infection? (I haven't taken his temp, I'll do that)

Oh! I love this little guy dearly! :hit I don't want anything really serious to be wrong with him! :fl

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
Is it common to see UC in such a young buck? Crossing my fingers for you elevan.
Can anyone answer that one?

I've never had to deal with UC before.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yep, UC can hit very young.

As far as suggestions...I'd have him on AC tablets...but those are Rx, so IDK. I've always had ammonium chloride to give bolus doses of since we lost our first buck to UC when he was 6 mos old. :idunno