HELP...w/ graphic / gross pic...beware

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I got a call from a friend w/ a sick goat last week, she described symptoms that *sounded* like bloat at the time...swollen belly, off feed, and said he'd gotten into the hog's feed pan, which had cauliflower in it.
I suggested a few things, and she said he did improve.

She called again on Thurs. night, said he was sick again, and his "butt was all swollen / pushed out"...sounded like a prolapse to me, so I told her to call her vet ASAP the next morning.

I called today to check and she says the vet thinks it's CL, which sounds like a wayyy off diagnosis to me for a swollen butt.

I just went by there to take a look / offer moral support, and folks, I've been raising goats for 15 years and I've NEVER seen anything like this.

peanutbutt.jpg

The only other suggestion he had was a twisted intestine...but still...how would that spread all the way out to the tail web and make IT double it's normal size???
The flesh on his entire rump feels bloated / swollen, on both sides of his tail as well. He's got a low-grade temp but nothing else obvious.
You know how an ankle looks / feels when it's sprained? The flesh feels tight and bloated? From his withers back he feels like that....but his belly isn't bloated.
He's 6 mos old, of good size / condition, etc...Somewhat lethargic and puny acting now.
He hasn't pooped in at least 2 days (they said) but, he's also not the least bit interested in food / water, either.
He's leaking blood from his rectum and some clear fluid.

I think, by how he was acting, he's too far gone to help but I would like to know if any of you have seen a tail look like this.
The vet has him on antibiotics and banamine for pain / swelling.

Thoughts?

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, could be a number of things!!
Sounds like he is trying to pass something for sure. Maybe "hardware"?
Also, could have gotten strung back there which is causing the edema?
More than likely though, with the blood he is trying to pass something. They need the vet to do some x-rays. Not much one can do safely out in the barn....

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
The vet sent the goat home w/ the meds and said "See how he does and call me on Monday."
I agree he needs xrays...but I'm afraid it may be too late, now.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
HOLY MOLY.....that poor boys behind!! Why would the vet think CL there? :idunno Did the vet try draining any fluid out to see if or what would come out?

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sounds like the vet may have neglected this guy a bit!! She definitely needs to call the vet back if he is still hanging on.
Hopefully he will be okay.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Did the goat get any injections between then and now? If so...could we be looking at a really weird sort of anaphylaxis?? Like, instead of falling over dead, maybe he just swelled up like a bullfrog...as some people do when they eat shellfish, for instance..

If he were mine, I'd get him off Banamine. It's too hard on the GI, and he's clearly already got some GI issues..

My gut tells me this is an immune-system reaction to something environmental.. If I'm right, Dexamethasone should help in two different ways: One, it brings down inflammation...Two, it knocks down the immune system. So long as he's on antibiotic at the same time, it should be OK.

I'd *definitely* have this goat on Dexamethasone.

ETA...and I'd get a different vet. Caseous Lymphadenitis? Are you kidding me? Goat 101 says that's not CL... :/

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
He died this morning before she could get him back to the vet....

I....am not even going to venture a guess at this point, but I totally disagreed w/ the CL diagnosis, as well. A blockage of some sort, maybe...but by a CL abscess? Nooooo

cmjustO, the goat had no swelling anywhere else, and was eating /drinking and acting fine 2 weeks ago. He just started acting "funny" and going off feed, then stopped eating at all, then swelled up and died about 4 days later.
No injections or recent medications of any kind.

RIP Peanut.