Help. Whats happening with my ewe

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even vets here aren’t that well versed on sheep. Plus it doesn’t take long to get more money in one than it’s worth. Most of us bring our problems to the forum and only use a vet for extreme emergencies or the big problems.

I don’t think anyone here keeps a ewe that prolapses. They do the best with the lambs, get them weaned and slaughter or sell the ewe. Nobody wants to do that again.
I wish you the best with this ewe.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, with work and all I did not see this until this morning. I would also say a prolapse... but not urinary... a vaginal prolapse. You can have rectal, vaginal and uterine prolapses... it sounds like it is vaginal and may continue to be a problem. I do not have much experience with a spoon and a harness, although I have heard of them. In cattle, we will put a couple of stitches in to keep the cow from straining and pushing it out until she is close to calving.... they will normally be able to pee and do manure ....
In most cases of prolapses, they will happen again.... anal/rectal ones will normally go back in after the calf is born, but will most usually happen again the next time and will get progressively bigger. Vagina is a sign of weak muscles and will probably occur again. Uterine is a toss up... it is a mess to deal with, but if it goes back in smoothly, there is only a 50/50 chance of it happening again. It is most common with a large calf and the cow straining alot....
Again, not well versed in it happening in sheep. Think we have only had one or 2 in 40 years... and have gotten the lambs out and then after the ewe raised them, she was sold. Haven't had any in many years.
Hope your vet can advise better...

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even vets here aren’t that well versed on sheep. Plus it doesn’t take long to get more money in one than it’s worth. Most of us bring our problems to the forum and only use a vet for extreme emergencies or the big problems.

I don’t think anyone here keeps a ewe that prolapses. They do the best with the lambs, get them weaned and slaughter or sell the ewe. Nobody wants to do that again.
I wish you the best with this ewe.
No we would not keep her or any of her offspring. Same thing for bad mothers and low/no milk producers, them and all their offspring go.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw this - have been off computer since Saturday. Several important questions -

1. Has this ewe lambed yet?
2, Is she still pregnant?
3. When is she due?
4. Is this her first lamb?
5. Was this a complete prolapse or a threatening prolapse?

If you can't get a spoon or prolapse guard, then you can sew up the vaginal opening with dental floss or fishing line. Sew the edges loosely together in an X cross. Leave enough play to allow her to urinate.

YOU WILL NEED TO CUT THE STITCHES WHEN SHE GOES INTO LABOR TO ALLOW HER TO LAMB WITHOUT TEARING. Just be ready for her to prolapse while lambing as she strains.

If answer to question 1 is yes, she has lambed, then just sew her up until the lamb is weaned and then sell her. A ewe that prolapses will continue to do so and aside from having to be replaced and sewed up all the time, can pass that proclivity on t her offspring. Unless thus ewe is super special bloodlines in your flock, dn;t kee any ewe lambs from her either.

If answer to question 2 is yes, she is still pregnant, you will need to watch her closely when she is due to lamb to cut the stitches to allow her to lamb. During lambing you will have to watch for prolapse. If she prolapses after or during lambing, you will need to replace the prolapse after washing it off with cold water, and then sew her shut again. If you can't replace the prolapse, then you have a bottle lamb. Milk out the colostrum from the ewe before putting her down.

Answer to question 3 goes to answer above.

If answer to question 4 is yes, and she did not completely prolapse (question 5),
it is possible pressure from a big lamb, or several lambs caused her to threaten a prolapse. Better to sell her after she weans her lambs.

A picture would help visualize what type of prolapse it is. Over the past 30 years I have dealt with uterine, rectal, and vaginal prolapses.
One rectal threatened prolapse was treated with Preparation H cream, and self-corrected when the ewe delivered triplets. Never a true prolapse and she went on to deliver again safely.
One ewe had a total uterine prolapse which I replaced and used the dental floss X stitches to sew up her vulva. Replacing the uterus is very difficult. It is very heavy and swells up hugely after coming out! It took DH, myself, and our 3 boys to get it back in. After several months I cut the stitches, she did not prolapse but I sold her before another breeding season.
A third ewe had a complete rectal prolapse. She was important genetics for my flock and only had a few weeks before delivery so I called the vet out. He used the same procedure that you do on hogs for this condition. Inserted a small PVC tube into the rectum then banded the extruded prolapse around it. The tight band caused the protruding rectal tissue to atrophy and die off. The ewe was in constant antibiotics and pain meds. When she delivered her lambs, I had to cut her vulva severely to deliver them. A pair of ewe lambs, one didn't make it. The vet sewed up her vulva and she was able to nurse the survivor for 5 weeks. Then I noticed that the pain pills were not working well, and she saw not eating well. We put her down. I kept the lamb for her genetics and will see if she prolapses like her mother in which case, she goes down as well. If that happens it will be hard because she is my granddaughter's pet since she was raised in the jugs due to her mama's condition. However her mama had a short show dock and I am hoping that is what contributed to the prolapse. A super short dock has been shown to affect the nerves and muscles in both sexes.

Hope this information helps you.

Zummerol

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just saw this - have been off computer since Saturday. Several important questions -

1. Has this ewe lambed yet?
2, Is she still pregnant?
3. When is she due?
4. Is this her first lamb?
5. Was this a complete prolapse or a threatening prolapse?

If you can't get a spoon or prolapse guard, then you can sew up the vaginal opening with dental floss or fishing line. Sew the edges loosely together in an X cross. Leave enough play to allow her to urinate.

YOU WILL NEED TO CUT THE STITCHES WHEN SHE GOES INTO LABOR TO ALLOW HER TO LAMB WITHOUT TEARING. Just be ready for her to prolapse while lambing as she strains.

If answer to question 1 is yes, she has lambed, then just sew her up until the lamb is weaned and then sell her. A ewe that prolapses will continue to do so and aside from having to be replaced and sewed up all the time, can pass that proclivity on t her offspring. Unless thus ewe is super special bloodlines in your flock, dn;t kee any ewe lambs from her either.

If answer to question 2 is yes, she is still pregnant, you will need to watch her closely when she is due to lamb to cut the stitches to allow her to lamb. During lambing you will have to watch for prolapse. If she prolapses after or during lambing, you will need to replace the prolapse after washing it off with cold water, and then sew her shut again. If you can't replace the prolapse, then you have a bottle lamb. Milk out the colostrum from the ewe before putting her down.

Answer to question 3 goes to answer above.

If answer to question 4 is yes, and she did not completely prolapse (question 5),
it is possible pressure from a big lamb, or several lambs caused her to threaten a prolapse. Better to sell her after she weans her lambs.

A picture would help visualize what type of prolapse it is. Over the past 30 years I have dealt with uterine, rectal, and vaginal prolapses.
One rectal threatened prolapse was treated with Preparation H cream, and self-corrected when the ewe delivered triplets. Never a true prolapse and she went on to deliver again safely.
One ewe had a total uterine prolapse which I replaced and used the dental floss X stitches to sew up her vulva. Replacing the uterus is very difficult. It is very heavy and swells up hugely after coming out! It took DH, myself, and our 3 boys to get it back in. After several months I cut the stitches, she did not prolapse but I sold her before another breeding season.
A third ewe had a complete rectal prolapse. She was important genetics for my flock and only had a few weeks before delivery so I called the vet out. He used the same procedure that you do on hogs for this condition. Inserted a small PVC tube into the rectum then banded the extruded prolapse around it. The tight band caused the protruding rectal tissue to atrophy and die off. The ewe was in constant antibiotics and pain meds. When she delivered her lambs, I had to cut her vulva severely to deliver them. A pair of ewe lambs, one didn't make it. The vet sewed up her vulva and she was able to nurse the survivor for 5 weeks. Then I noticed that the pain pills were not working well, and she saw not eating well. We put her down. I kept the lamb for her genetics and will see if she prolapses like her mother in which case, she goes down as well. If that happens it will be hard because she is my granddaughter's pet since she was raised in the jugs due to her mama's condition. However her mama had a short show dock and I am hoping that is what contributed to the prolapse. A super short dock has been shown to affect the nerves and muscles in both sexes.

Hope this information helps you.
Hi. Sorry been off line for a few days. Unfortunately it is like that on the farm. She has not yet lambed and was never supposed to be covered by any ram. She came with ewes that I had bought and was bottle raised by the previous owners. Not because mommy rejected her but because people can be stupid and decided it would be nice to bottle raise a lamb... sorry not something I agree with at all unless you absolutely have to and not because it is a novelty... she is quite small for her age and I put the lambs with her when I take them away from mommies only one of the young rams got out and in with her and the young girls and from there we are here... unfortunately she has prolapsed again... it happens only when she lies down. The minute she stands up it all goes back in along with all the dirt and sand so she is on a course of anti biotic... unfortunately I have searched high and low for a harness but cant get them here will have to import and with our postal system I will be lucky to get it by 2025... I even tried looking up the specs to make one myself but could find nothing on the internet. I have noted when all my other ewes are due but have no idea with her as I did not even realise one of the boys got in with her... her udder is quite big but withers are still full not hollowed out yet... maybe if someone on this group has a harness they could post the specs so I can make one for just in case it happens again. I think I am going to have to do the stitch thing tomorrow morning or should I say later this morning as it is currently 1am.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh that’s tough. She’s a pet and special to you. Why do the ones next to your heart always get in a bad way.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi. Sorry been off line for a few days. Unfortunately it is like that on the farm. She has not yet lambed and was never supposed to be covered by any ram. She came with ewes that I had bought and was bottle raised by the previous owners. Not because mommy rejected her but because people can be stupid and decided it would be nice to bottle raise a lamb... sorry not something I agree with at all unless you absolutely have to and not because it is a novelty... she is quite small for her age and I put the lambs with her when I take them away from mommies only one of the young rams got out and in with her and the young girls and from there we are here... unfortunately she has prolapsed again... it happens only when she lies down. The minute she stands up it all goes back in along with all the dirt and sand so she is on a course of anti biotic... unfortunately I have searched high and low for a harness but cant get them here will have to import and with our postal system I will be lucky to get it by 2025... I even tried looking up the specs to make one myself but could find nothing on the internet. I have noted when all my other ewes are due but have no idea with her as I did not even realise one of the boys got in with her... her udder is quite big but withers are still full not hollowed out yet... maybe if someone on this group has a harness they could post the specs so I can make one for just in case it happens again. I think I am going to have to do the stitch thing tomorrow morning or should I say later this morning as it is currently 1am.
Here are some approximate dimensions in milimeters. You may have to make it a bit smaller if she is a very small ewe.
1628691007522.png

Make sure you make the spoon part very smooth so it does not injure her vagina. You can use rope to go thru the holes and either clip it to her wool or make her a harness based on her size. The spoon is quite flat, there are videos you can find showing how exactly to use it and it will give a good idea of how it should look.

Zummerol

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you. Sorry I should have been more specific. No way I can make something like that will post a pic of what I was referring to but thank you for the picture and tlresponse. Really appreciate it
Here are some approximate dimensions in milimeters. You may have to make it a bit smaller if she is a very small ewe.
View attachment 87277
Make sure you make the spoon part very smooth so it does not injure her vagina. You can use rope to go thru the holes and either clip it to her wool or make her a harness based on her size. The spoon is quite flat, there are videos you can find showing how exactly to use it and it will give a good idea of how it should look.