Help with a colour?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve been reading up on genes and colours of rabbits...even writing the word with the extra ‘u’ makes me feel like a weird-o...🤣. Anyways..I’ve decided to keep this little NZ doe..because her color is so unique...but, as I was reading last night...on a rabbit forum..it said she was a tan/patterned with pink eyed dilute? I don’t think my bunny has the pink eyes...I’m pretty sure she doesn’t. Could she be a Lutino otter? It also said that the tan/patterned one turned yellow, which is still an unusual colour... after molting. But..I’m not so sure I want a yellow...and if that’s the case..I think I want to sell her..,because as it is right now, I’m at full capacity for hutch space..and I’d like to have an open hutch, for the uh-oh, situation. I can always put a bunny in a cage in my ‘house/barn’. ...but that isnt Ideal for long term. So, can you take a look at this darling bunny. I know she’d sell like a flash...but if she’s going to change to yellow, and not carry this tan/patterned...then, I just don’t th8nk I want to breed the yellow in my line...I’m not sure..I haven’t seen any than other on the webpage...anybody have any cute ones?
FFB599DD-EF77-43DD-B957-6A0CEA183591.jpeg
F38CB70D-7944-4CB7-86C4-2F090B3C328A.jpeg
B042B088-8EC0-44BD-B315-993B40AF20FC.jpeg
D023700B-6583-4866-9788-91EC36FE7051.jpeg
42AA6D38-16E4-46BC-ACB3-6B7A78DCB663.jpeg
24850B00-2170-48B2-9EA5-4D89E91B791B.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m not sure sure...I know the male was, mom was ‘sold’ to me as one, but you know how that goes..so, if you had guess..what breed...and if I but her with my black NZ, what should I expect? Or do I need a different buck to suit her colour?

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you breed to a black buck, you’ll likely get mostly black kits. If the buck carries the recessive “e”, you could get more torts.

And of course, you could get red-eyed whites, or several other colors based on any recessive color genes, but the chance of that is probably small

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I actually have a litter now from a black doe and a fawn (the Agouti version of Tort) buck. I got lucky and the doe carries “e”, so I have a good mix of blacks and torts. I love the torts, your doe is very cute.

Here’s the litter I mentioned:
881E1B23-767F-4368-BCD4-CD31DD54EA22.jpeg

Attachments

• B8A633A3-A8BC-4316-8E61-A00F381ABECB.jpeg
    B8A633A3-A8BC-4316-8E61-A00F381ABECB.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 333

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so now I need to try to ‘create’ or buy a tort Buck of some colour to breed with this young doe? Ugh...this gene stuff is sooo complicated...but, I’m really enjoying learning about it. I really wish I had someone here to explain it to me in real life..,for me, it’s hard to simply read it...I think I need to make some charts. I sold my Cali buck..by mistake. Chris never let me breed him, because he did it like the eyes. But, he, and I didn’t realize at that point, that that was how I got the spots! So, now I found a new Cali buck, but we have to drive pretty far, and pay more money. I told Chris, next time I want to sell an animal on impulse..stop me..because I always, always regret it!! Oh, do you know of any great websites that explain the genes, for dummies?🤣

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Whether or not you need a tort buck to breed to this doe just depends on what you want. If it was me, I’d breed to your current buck and see if he carries the non-extension gene (e); but if you need an excuse to buy another rabbit, then yes, you should get a tort buck 🤣

But, he, and I didn’t realize at that point, that that was how I got the spots! So, now I found a new Cali buck
Depending on the genetics of your new Cali buck, he might not give you spotted kits. The white colors (Cali and solid white) cover everything else up. If your previous Cali colored buck threw broken kits with a solid doe, that means that he was a broken buck, you just couldn’t see if because the Cali gene makes everything white. Your new buck might not carry broken.

Sorry, I’m not very good at explaining the genetics, and I don’t really know a good website that explains it. I think they’re all confusing when I start reading them. The way I’ve figured out what little I know, is to look at each rabbit I have and figure out what their genotype is. That helped me start to piece together what each letter (ABCDE) meant. I wrote down what each of my breeder’s are, and then for fun, I’ve been doing different breeding to figure out some of the recessives they carry.

I do use this website: http://www.ephiny.net/tim/pedigrees/color_calc.php
It’s a calculator that tells you what colored kits you could get from certain breedings. I think it’s a little clunky if you have a lot of unknown recessive genes, but it’s still fun to see use.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, thanks a ton!! I had two Cali bucks, one had a more pronounced gray/black nose and one had more brown one his features..the one I’m buying Sunday...from the pictures, it’s kind of hard to tell? I think he looks a bit grey/black tips...that’s like the one one I used to breed. Can I ask...how many rabbits do you currently have to breed that you are able to play around with the gene patterns? I have 8 NZ does, 1 NZ buck..1 Cali doe...that I, stupidly sold...ugh, why do I do this stupid stuff? Now I’m buying 1 cali buck. I have 1 Cali/NZ doe and 1cali/NZ buck..then I have a bunch of other breeds...bu5 I haven’t messed around with them...yet!👍😀🐰. But I seem to get the great spots from my Cali cross doe..shell have 1/2 and 1/2 of each..and definitely all spots from my Cali doe when I cross her. That’s why I’m buying a new Cali buck..to breed with all my NZ does...spots sell really well around here, plus, I just really like them too, and I’d like one in my line-up too. Thanks for the website info too!!

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 5 does and 3 bucks right now.
2 broken black NZ does
1 solid black NZ doe
1 blue NZ doe
1 blue NZ buck
2 Calis, 1 buck and 1 doe
1 fawn mixed breed buck

I haven’t bred my Californians to anyone other than each other to see what other colors they might have, but I get a lot of spots from my 2 spotted does. They seem to either throw black with spots or solid white with only rarely having a solid black or blue kit. The spots sell well here too.