Help with adopted goat

JuliannaPower

Just born
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So my husband and I just moved into our new home and it came with a goat! We actually included keeping the goat on the property in the offer because he’s just too cool. Anyway, I have limited goat experience and I have a couple questions I’m hoping someone can help me with. Gene (the goat) has lived alone on this property for at least 5 years, he has about a half acre to himself. He clearly hasn’t really been socialized as it took him a while to let me pet him, but now he come up to the gate to say hi. We want to get him a friend or two but I’m not sure if it would go over well. Any suggestions? Does Gene just want to continue to be a solo goat or could we introduce a couple friends into his pen?

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Definitely a friend! A wether (castrated male goat) would be a good start to your new addiction ;)

Sharyl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Goats are herd animals so a friend would be a great idea! Otherwise you will need to spend a lot of time out with him, and become part of his herd. I have one goat that is a loner but is unhappy when actually alone. She doesn't socialize with the other goats in her pen, much, but if she is in a separate pen, she gets really depressed. She doesn't like to share, food, attention, shelter, so we had to put two shelters in the pen as well as three different feeding areas but it is worth it for her to be happy.
Goats are wonderful pets! Enjoy Gene!! :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It really depends. Is he intact? Is he a wether?
Goats in general are herd animals and need a buddy. However many keep bucks in their own pens because they don't always get along. Much is how they are raised from the onset.
WE had a buck that could go with no one else or he'd kill it. Whereas all our other bucks live peacefully together.
I have a doe that would love to be an only child. Unusual but there are some very happy alone.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX Julianna! So glad you joined us. Congrats on your new place and the ready made start to farm life with Gene! Hope you'll consider taking a minute to visit the new member's thread and introduce yourself so folks can welcome you properly. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/ Maybe share a few pics of your new place and Gene? There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So my husband and I just moved into our new home and it came with a goat! We actually included keeping the goat on the property in the offer because he’s just too cool. Anyway, I have limited goat experience and I have a couple questions I’m hoping someone can help me with. Gene (the goat) has lived alone on this property for at least 5 years, he has about a half acre to himself. He clearly hasn’t really been socialized as it took him a while to let me pet him, but now he come up to the gate to say hi. We want to get him a friend or two but I’m not sure if it would go over well. Any suggestions? Does Gene just want to continue to be a solo goat or could we introduce a couple friends into his pen?
If you want him to be health he has to have a buddy. Goats are a herd animal and need friends.companionship. I like the suggestion of adding a wether but would suggest that you try to find one who is very friendly. It could rub off on Gene. I also like the idea of adding you state but would suggest that you add more than just the state. We are are in SW Washington and there are at least 4 distinct climates just within this state.