Help with breed selection

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LOL! 1-2 a day total for the herd, not per goat. Your site is a nice one. I have been to so many sites it is crazy. IDK, but fences and sheds first (DW would say house, septic, water, etc) then it gets into the stocking. I noticed you have Barred Rocks. Are they hatchery birds or breeder stock? They look better than hatchery stock.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good luck with what you decide. Sounds like your leaning towards Nigerians. I raise Mini-Alpine's. LOVE THEM! So much milk and only 1/4 size bigger than the Nigerians. Sweet tempered and not noisy at all. Milk is very much like cow milk with the exception of being a bit creamier/thicker.

cybercat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A word about LGD. Stay away from the AKC breeders that show. Only buy one from a working farm, otherwise you will have problems.
I would suggest you visit a few goat breeders of different goat before choosing. Nigerians are small real small and known for being good at escaping. Your other Minis might be a better choice as they are bigger but not standard and give almost as much milk as some standards at least in La Manchas. There is also the Kinders which are both milk and meat. But you might have to breed them yourself, which takes a pygmy and a Nubian.

Each breed has is special thing. So visit a few breeders of each to see what the goats are like in Person. Good Luck on your plans they are sound.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 3 breeds of goats...Nigerian Dwarfs, Lamancha, Kiko's/New Zealands- Nigies do vary in size. Many of the show breeders are breeding them smaller and smaller. We have a range with ours and quite a few are over the standard- but I like that. One of ours is over the height standard and weighs 80 lbs.
I disagree about the escaping. Because the majority of the people I work with in my county and the surrounding counties have Nigerians I can say not one of them, including myself, has issues with their goats escaping and the majority of them only use welded wire for fencing. Welded wire is not something I would recommend but many that have nigies use this as they are very non-challenging. My nigies also respect hotwire and do not try to escape anything. I think more often than not if they are happy, healthy, well fed there isn't an issue.
I do agree visiting as many farms with different breeds to see what fits for you is always good. :)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are some very good Nigerian breeders in KY, but of course it is a big state. Not sure where you are at.

Of course, depending upon where you are at Ohio too. There is a farm about 30 minutes from Columbus that have some of the best there is. I'm hopefully getting a new buckling from him late April, if the dam has one.:fl

Get a good buck. Best way to approach breeding.

Not sure where Southern got the idea that show breeders are breeding smaller. Opposite is true. 21" tall does are scoring highest on linear appraisals. There has even been a proposal with ADGA to raise the maximum height for bucks, but not many are in favor.

Last edited:

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Originally, years ago, the plan was for boers and I went to many farms in Ky, WVa, and Oh. I was not overly impressed with very many. Now I am on this whole dairy thing. I don't care to travel to get the right stock. Shoot, I had planned a trip to Tx to just few a buck.

I still have my research to do and appreciate any and all help.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are some very good Nigerian breeders in KY, but of course it is a big state. Not sure where you are at.

Of course, depending upon where you are at Ohio too. There is a farm about 30 minutes from Columbus that have some of the best there is. I'm hopefully getting a new buckling from him late April, if the dam has one.:fl

Get a good buck. Best way to approach breeding.

Not sure where Southern got the idea that show breeders are breeding smaller. Opposite is true. 21" tall does are scoring highest on linear appraisals. There has even been a proposal with ADGA to raise the maximum height for bucks, but not many are in favor.

Gee, because I see them. Some people are some people aren't. You don't but that has been the trend... hopefully that is changing.
Not sure where it stands now but 3 registries had 3 different requirements a few years back.

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
See, that is my issue. At least with boers I knew what was what. I was planning on breeding stock to sale. Now I am looking for good milkers that are good at feed to milk conversion. And if the majority of that feed can be pasture so much the better. I worked my pastures @5 years ago to produce big strong meat goats. They contain alfalfa, Timothy, and red clover. They are beautiful hay fields now. With the exception of the Timothy I understand that the alfalfa and clover are solid for milkers?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
That hasn't been the trend since ADGA recognized Nigerians.

There's really only one registry that matters at this point at least around here.

Once ADGA accepted them, trend was guaranteed to be towards the upper end and it's not just me. In a Linear Appraisal they are scored on "stature" Short is the opposite of stature.

The only reason the NDGA exists is for the people who like them shorter and NDGA is not particularly relevant here.

NDGA is the only registry that says the ideal height is 17-19" which is short.

I know one breeder around here who has stock from an "old school" breeder that are shorter. I should sell the buck I got from her except he's such a sweetie.

Correction: 2 breeders. Both proteges of the same farm

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
See, that is my issue. At least with boers I knew what was what. I was planning on breeding stock to sale. Now I am looking for good milkers that are good at feed to milk conversion. And if the majority of that feed can be pasture so much the better. I worked my pastures @5 years ago to produce big strong meat goats. They contain alfalfa, Timothy, and red clover. They are beautiful hay fields now. With the exception of the Timothy I understand that the alfalfa and clover are solid for milkers?

Nigerians have the best feed to milk conversion ratio.