Help with breed

Sage Albright

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've posted a few threads over the past week and I have learned so much already from this site!

We currently have two goats. I'm not 100% sure of the breed of my older goat. The people at the auction said Nubian and then someone else told me he is a "mini Nubian". I'm wondering if anyone can help me clarify what he is.

The younger of the two is a fainting goat.

Sage Albright

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 177

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried clicking "Upload File" right next to the "Post Reply" button? This is how I usually attach all my photos. Hope that helps! :)

CORRECTION: Right after I posted that, it showed that you posted a photo. Glad you found it!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
From Wikipedia: "Nubians are large, with does weighing at least 135 pounds (61 kg) and 175 pounds (79 kg) for bucks. The minimum height of the breed, measured at the withers, is 30 inches (76 cm) for does and 35 inches (89 cm) for bucks..."

So, you'll need to wait till it's full grown to determine for sure if it's "pure" Nubian, or a "mini" Nubian; pure Nubian (typically the doe) crossed with (typically a) Nigerian Dwarf buck. Most of the time a first gen mini anything ends up with a mixture of ears so rather than the pure (large pendulous) ears of the Nubian, or the mid length stand up ears of the ND, it ends up with a mixture of both.

From the pic, those look like pure Nubian ears, but in the end, adult size will determine the real situation.

Sage Albright

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
From Wikipedia: "Nubians are large, with does weighing at least 135 pounds (61 kg) and 175 pounds (79 kg) for bucks. The minimum height of the breed, measured at the withers, is 30 inches (76 cm) for does and 35 inches (89 cm) for bucks..."

So, you'll need to wait till it's full grown to determine for sure if it's "pure" Nubian, or a "mini" Nubian; pure Nubian (typically the doe) crossed with (typically a) Nigerian Dwarf buck. Most of the time a first gen mini anything ends up with a mixture of ears so rather than the pure (large pendulous) ears of the Nubian, or the mid length stand up ears of the ND, it ends up with a mixture of both.

From the pic, those look like pure Nubian ears, but in the end, adult size will determine the real situation.

When do they typically stop growing? He's about 5 months now and his back is right above my knees. I'm only 5'1" though. Lol.

We are very new to goats.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
They won't stop growing 'til they are well over a year; sometimes longer.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My LaManchas usually don't fully grown up until about 2 years. I suspect most other goats are the same.

Latest posts