Help with feed question

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Any suggestions on what to feed when hair coat is rough and a doe needs to gain weight. They had their babys 4 months ago. Thought they would have picked up weight alot sooner. I have dewormed them with Ivomec for the most part. Then switched to cydectin. They have lots of grass but have been giving hay also. They get 4 cups of purina goat chow everyday. They use to only get 2 and it kept them fat and healthy. Loose mineral all the time. Any supplements i need to add. Im at a loss as to what to do. Im afraid folks are gonna call animal control on me. Lol. And it makes me feel aweful because I know im feeding them but can still feel bones. TIA

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
When you wormed them, did you do a fecal first to see what you were trying to kill, and how bad the infestation was? Did you do a followup fecal a week after treatment to see if the desired results were achieved? Did you do the doses correctly? Goats have a high metabolism so generally need a heavier dose. Are you milking them? are the kids still nursing off them? Are you following the milk withdrawal requirements with the wormers? Lots of questions, sorry...

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I didnt do the fecal. I did 1 cc per # on the ivomectin. And did the reccomended dose on the cydectin that was on the bottle. They are weaning the babies. One doe has completely quit letting her babies nurse. The other one just lets them nurse for just a few seconds.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please tell me that that is 1cc / 100# .

I would say it is probably mineral related, it seems that the goat minerals never give them what they need. Have you done a copper bolus on them? A good supplement you can give them is Calf manna, whatever amount is suggested on the bag. Another one that is good for their coat is BOSS. Of course with goats go slow or any new feed.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well no. It was 1cc per pound. But i dont exactly give them that much anymore. I was new to goats and i think thats what killed my 1st buck. He was 40#s. So u know what happened. So everyone just get 1cc ea now.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well no. It was 1cc per pound. But i dont exactly give them that much anymore. I was new to goats and i think thats what killed my 1st buck. He was 40#s. So u know what happened. So everyone just get 1cc ea now.
You really need to talk to your vet/local experienced breeders in your area and find an accurate dosage that works in your area and get fecals done before/after. Just guessing and giving the wrong dose/wrong medicine/wrong time leads to parasite resistance for your goats and other people's.

Do you know how much your goats weigh exactly?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
upload_2017-5-4_21-57-5.png This is a 50 ml bottle.... so your vet told you 1cc per lb of goat? That would mean I have to give my 150 lb buck 3 bottles? That's a mistake somewhere. Either your vet is way off, or hopefully, there was just a misunderstanding. Please call your vet for clarification - and if that's what he tells you again - get a new vet!

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 32094 This is a 50 ml bottle.... so your vet told you 1cc per lb of goat? That would mean I have to give my 150 lb buck 3 bottles? That's a mistake somewhere. Either your vet is way off, or hopefully, there was just a misunderstanding. Please call your vet for clarification - and if that's what he tells you again - get a new vet!
She didn't say anything about a vet being involved. :hu