Help with feed question

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, thanks for the info. Would you let us all know how it works for you? I've got a wether that looks like he's been through heck and back, but fecal came back clean. He's skinny, bad hair, interested in food and has a good attitude. Pen mates are just fine. I started giving him some Calf Manna this week, but he's not liking it much. Pen mates think it is wonderful. I'm this close to kicking the babies and new moms out of the nursery and putting this boy in so I can monitor his eating better.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, thanks for the info. Would you let us all know how it works for you? I've got a wether that looks like he's been through heck and back, but fecal came back clean. He's skinny, bad hair, interested in food and has a good attitude. Pen mates are just fine. I started giving him some Calf Manna this week, but he's not liking it much. Pen mates think it is wonderful. I'm this close to kicking the babies and new moms out of the nursery and putting this boy in so I can monitor his eating better.
Give him an injection of B complex.... this should help

These are all good articles.... if you have time read all 3

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/nutrition/vitaminsandminerals.shtml
http://articles.extension.org/pages/19381/goat-nutrition-minerals
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/manag...ition-goats/nutritional-requirements-of-goats

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's interesting that the cobalt sulfate is red and cobalt blocks are blue. I am going to buy a block as soon as I can find one and see if the goats use it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never seen my dogs eat the minerals or the blocks...goats eating dog food...of course.

If they did lick at the cobalt would it be extremely bad for the dogs? I'm not talking a diet of it, but just a taste.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
While looking up the copper and cobalt boluses i came across copper boluses for kids. Should i give it to them also? Will it hurt them to give them just in case?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are their ages and weights?
Are you seeing symptoms of deficiency?
High parasite loads? Fishtail? Rough or curly tips on the coat?

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are 5 months. Look very healthy and their coats look great.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am still going to do the fecal and test for Johns and CAE. But I bought them a better mineral and they almost gorged themselves. And still eating on it alot! It was a 25# bag and its disappearing fast! So guess I will be getting them another bag. And i hope it helps them start to gain.