Help with feeding new chubby wether

Murray08

Just born
Reaction score
Hi all. New to backyard herds and sheep. We are getting a 1 and 3yr old babydoll Southdown wethers in the next week and need help knowing how to control their weight. We went and looked at the boys and they are super friendly but the 3yr old is huge! The owners said he is on hay and hay extender and used to be on a sweet feed? But he got "crazy" on it. They couldn't tell me what kind of hay. Any tips on getting his weight under control? Thanks!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Murray08 from the front range in Colorado. Samantha already tagged the folks I would have, so hopefully one or more of them will be along to say HI and help you out. Welcome to BYH! There's a wealth of info and shared experience in the various sheep threads. Get comfy, make yourself at home, and browse a while :caf

Murray08

Just born
Reaction score
Greetings @Murray08 from the front range in Colorado. Samantha already tagged the folks I would have, so hopefully one or more of them will be along to say HI and help you out. Welcome to BYH! There's a wealth of info and shared experience in the various sheep threads. Get comfy, make yourself at home, and browse a while :caf
Thank you so much! Reading non stop to make sure I take care of these boys right.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Uuughmmm, I don't think I can help, even though I breed Babydoll Southdown sheep. My last mature (3+) ram was fat, at his new home he is still fat and my current mature ram is fat...
They only get pasture during the growing season and grass hay in winter, never any grain.
=/
My two other rams are still growing and filling out. But I bet they'll be round, too.
They're ram pasture is about 0.6 acre, more than enough to keep them plump and happy.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
my guess is you will never get him slim and trim. if he were mine I would just keep him on a good grass hay and a good loose sheep mineral. that should keep him happy and healthy. and I wouldn't put him on any kind of grain. how much pasture will he have? what do you plan to do with your boys? I love my sheep, they have such personalities.

Murray08

Just born
Reaction score
my guess is you will never get him slim and trim. if he were mine I would just keep him on a good grass hay and a good loose sheep mineral. that should keep him happy and healthy. and I wouldn't put him on any kind of grain. how much pasture will he have? what do you plan to do with your boys? I love my sheep, they have such personalities.
The people who have them now keep them on about a half acre pasture. So we are going to do the same. They are very sweet and act like dogs! They are going to be pet sheep but I think I might make an attempt at spinning :) I get a little worried with him because he recently had pneumonia but recovered quickly. I'm super nervous to bring them home. Thanks for the advice!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not much you can do besides starving him. ;) Keep him on pasture or 1st cut hay, nothing fancy. No grain except as a treat once in a while. Babydoll SDs are naturally a bit on the chunky side.