Help with my pony?

Junior

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i’ve got a gorgeous Shetland mare. We’ve had her for a while and she used to be great. She is pretty stubborn though and when she won’t move into the next paddock like the sheep do my dad will chase her around the paddock. Sometimes with a stick he pulls off the tree. E89E20D0-CDFD-4616-A8CD-D5791300F9E6.jpegThis is causing her to go wild and I’m unable to retrain her because every time I regain her trust he starts chasing her again.

My sister’s pregnant so I’m wanting to train the mare so the bubs’ll have a chance to ride her. I don’t know what to do though, my family doesn’t listen to me about anything, let alone what they think is best for her.

It has gotten to the point that she has become afraid of all men but give her a couple of children and she’s amazing.

is there anyway I can get her to realise I’m not trying to harm her? I love her but at this point it’ll be easier to get rid of her and I really don’t want to. Most of my nightmares involve losing her so it’d be pretty traumatic to lose her.

I’ve attached a photo just because she’s beautiful

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would recommend building a round pen, even if it is just step in posts with electric on it, and doing some round pen work with her. This will kill 2 birds with 1 stone, it will make it easier to move her from place to place so your dad won't have to fight with her as much to get her to go with the sheep, and it will also let her learn that you may chase her to make her move, but you won't hurt her and you will stop waving the stick as soon as she does what she is asked to do.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She really is! I don’t have horses (I only get to work with my neighbors pony) hopefully someone else will jump on here. As far as your family, I get people not listening, doing something stupid, and then you have to deal with it. It sounds like you’re a bit younger? If that’s the case then it does get better. The more you show you’re competent the more they will listen.
How long between moving sheep to different pastures? That gives us a timeframe of how long you have to work with her before the next set back.
Might I also suggest having a bit of a talk about the chasing making her wild? Do some research, watch some videos, learn a little of the lingo. I personally respect the training styles of Ray Hunt and Buck Brannaman. Make it easier for the horse to behave than misbehave. 😀
Keep in mind horses are prey animals, so if you chase them constantly they will start seeing you as a predator. That might be something you could mention too. Show, with evidence, what is happening and where it will lead. Your dad having to chase her every time, a scared horse, You losing the horse. Keep your anger emotions in check, choose to be respectful.
Also, start working with her now. Then, next time to move ask if you can move instead, or better yet if you know the sheep are being moved move her before your dad gets out there and she’s spooky because of him. Worst case he has to chase her after you tried...right?

To the training of the horse, the more you work the better. I would suggest going out with some treats. If she likes apple, thin slice it. Basically, make as many small treats as practical out of what you have. Walk out towards her, until her body language shows she’s uncomfortable. If she moves a step or two away you take a step back. Stop and offer a treat. Gently, don’t move too fast, grab another treat and keep feeding her. Really spooky animals will back off when you get a new treat, be patient until she’s comfortable again. Once the apple is out go ahead and leave. Leave on a positive note. If you can’t get her to eat any apple or get that close to you crouch or sit in the grass a few minutes. Facing where you can see her, but aren’t facing her directly. Talk sing, whatever. Get her curios about you. If she comes over, great! If not, then she is now both curios what you’re doing and more comfortable with you in her pen.
Once she takes apples with you standing hold your other hand near her, so she was to either touch or get near your other hand to get the apple. Make it bigger slices, so more reward. Once she’s comfortable work on a neck pet and then an apple piece. Neck rub apple piece. If possible don’t end until she’s pretty comfortable with it. But trust your instincts.
Next, give an apple slice and take a step back. Make her chase you. In between this maybe do a neck pat to remind her and give a break from following. Keep it short, one apple or carrot is usually about right, maybe two.
Next, run a little bit, click to her (or whatever you do to call her) get her to play with you. This is where my neighbors pony really started trusting me. We would race on each side of the fence. -She was fine when they got her but had a few seizures and went blind in one eye and partially deaf. Which made her untouchable.- After a play session give her a biggish treat, maybe even a whole half an apple lol!
Then get her comfortable with her lead rope. I used to rub it on the neck and shoulder, but keep it bunches so there aren’t random “snakes” near her. Let her smell everything. If you don’t want to do that you can gently put it on her halter and then let her smell it. Walk her around, lead her. Play with her a little bit, but keep her respectful of her lead. Go up and get her on her lead often. Then let her off, sometimes after walking sometimes just on and off.
Work with her as many times as possible through out the day. Before breakfast, after school. As many times as you can, the more sessions the more progress.
Also, if she is really refusing to move you can have her on the lead and gently tap her butt with a rope or a whip. That has a tendency to make them bolt though and I don’t know if you’re able to handle that. But, if you get her to the point she’s comfortable leading hopefully other people will come on here with some suggestions for a stubborn horse.

Junior

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I think that using treats she won't walk away from me because she's a bit of a fatty!🤣

I have tried to convince dad to help me build a round pen but he said to just use the paddock and it's a bit big for that.

She comes up to me for pats and scratches but when I try to work with her she gets too stubborn.
Also, I'm 14

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you have anyone who can teach you how to lunge?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
To move her take a bucket of grain. Not much but enough that she gets a small treat when she is where you want her.
Google lunging, get a lunge line, you don't need a round pen to work her. It's just learning how to position your body so she moves in the direction you want her too.